Florida Route Survey Requirement Poses Powerboat Transportation Challenge >

Florida Route Survey Requirement Poses Powerboat Transportation Challenge

Notices

Florida Route Survey Requirement Poses Powerboat Transportation Challenge

Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Default Florida Route Survey Requirement Poses Powerboat Transportation Challenge

Something to be aware of for people hauling boats in the Sunshine State, https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...challenges-1-1.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Something to be aware of for people hauling boats in the Sunshine State, https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...challenges-1-1.
This has no chance of being enforced! If over 8'6 wide or 13'6 ft high means every center console or cruiser on a dual axle trailer (or more) would be in violation. I only say dual axle because it rules out the smaller boats that would be fine.

So if FHP (DOT merged with them a few years back) sat at the top of the FL keys at the start of Memorial Day weekend then every boat past about 27 ft would be in violation. Spectacular idea BTW if since this is the first major summer holiday after the hurricane last year.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

It’s says on the hauling companies letter head, what if it is a private person?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
This has no chance of being enforced! If over 8'6 wide or 13'6 ft high means every center console or cruiser on a dual axle trailer (or more) would be in violation. I only say dual axle because it rules out the smaller boats that would be fine.

So if FHP (DOT merged with them a few years back) sat at the top of the FL keys at the start of Memorial Day weekend then every boat past about 27 ft would be in violation. Spectacular idea BTW if since this is the first major summer holiday after the hurricane last year.
I hate to say it, but they do that kind of crap. They set up at the first weigh station a few years back at the start of Speedweeks and nearly every race hauler was inspected to death. And the whole "not for hire" thing was put to the test, and a lot of guys left with some steep fines.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:51 AM
Registered

237CC - Cobia Boats

23 ft Cobia......MSRP 75K, 8ft 10 inch beam......violation!
Common boat, affordable to many and usually trailered.

The 22 ft one is 8'6 but not sure on the height on the trailer with the t-top.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
It’s says on the hauling companies letter head, what if it is a private person?
I suspect that gets a pass.......like RV's. 75 yr old guy with coke bottle glasses can run a 45 ft diesel pusher down the highway at 70 mph without a single endorsement on his license and probably hadn't been actually road tested in 60+ years!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I will be towing my new boat home to Indy from Florida in a few weeks. Beam is 10'10". I emailed Florida DOT asking what I needed to do to apply for permits, since the boat is over 8'6". Explained that it is my own truck/ boat and that I am not for hire. They told me I do not need permits in this case, which was surprising to me.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Height shouldn't be a problem unless you have a 12' wide cat on a tilt. My old GTS was 13'4" to the top of the giant satellite TV dome. My new GTS is shorter than that. I just switched haulers to a RV with a 30,000 hitch to avoid most of the regulations. I'm 92' long now, but the overlength and overwidth permits are on the same piece of paper for the same money.

The entire country is cracking down on these regulations, not just Florida.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
I will be towing my new boat home to Indy from Florida in a few weeks. Beam is 10'10". I emailed Florida DOT asking what I needed to do to apply for permits, since the boat is over 8'6". Explained that it is my own truck/ boat and that I am not for hire. They told me I do not need permits in this case, which was surprising to me.
That is good to hear for us private guys who tow ourselves.

Just to be safe, I would print a copy of that email and throw it in the glove box.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

A few years back Illinois was so hard up for money that they passed a law stating that RAFTS required yearly water usage stamps..They then stationed DNR officers mid-stream in a popular river that people floated down and handed out tickets for non-registration and arrested people for BUI. When/if states get hard up for money they will do anything to leech it from people. Hopefully Florida doesn't get hard up for money anytime soon - but if they do....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.