Notices

Replacing trailer bunks

Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Many years ago, I custom ordered some 4"x10" long bunks for a bunk trailer. It wasn't a big deal, and was not terribly expensive. I think I ordered Cypress which would be the best wood to use. I don't recommend treated lumber, and neither does Myco. Just plain Pine UNLESS you go to Cypress.

The worst think I found about the bunks "wearing" on the typical bolt-together aluminum trailer is that their were only a couple of through bolts supporting ALL the weight of the boat. This is because my bunks were not touching the trailer frame, but were suspended by those bolts above it.

Either have those big bunks setting all the way down on the trailer frame cross members, OR install some small blocks of wood to make up for the suspension that the through bolts are supporting. This was on a POS Rocket trailer under my 26' Sonic. I was much better when I was done with it.
that is exactly what I heard in the past. I been loading and unloading for years with out them so I won’t use them at this point. I only now have 1 in and 1 our with the trailer
Old 05-23-2018, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
I did.. .

Only downfall is they are REAL slippery

..When pulling the boat out I now have to leave the boat idling in gear until the winch get hooked

or it slides back in the water as you're walking up the bow....
And hook up the safety chain before pulling up to far. Have seen winch straps snap.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

As someone previously posted treated lumber has a corrosive effect on the hardware used to fasten the bunks to the trailer.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
As someone previously posted treated lumber has a corrosive effect on the hardware used to fasten the bunks to the trailer.
Not true, stainless or hot dipped galvanized will be fine.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Not true, stainless or hot dipped galvanized will be fine.
What then caused the galvanized lag bolts to erode ? I backed down a ramp, the boat floated free and so did two of the four bunks. The fasteners were eroded to a pointed shape with no thread left to grip the wood. This is on a fresh water use only trailer.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
What then caused the galvanized lag bolts to erode ? I backed down a ramp, the boat floated free and so did two of the four bunks. The fasteners were eroded to a pointed shape with no thread left to grip the wood. This is on a fresh water use only trailer.
Most decks in America would fall off the house if that was the case. Finding fasteners that are compliant with treated lumber is not hard, we use numerous types when we build decks. There has to be some sort of electrode potential between aluminum (is your trailer aluminum?)/steel/galvanized products...it's not the treated lumber.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a little Googling you will see that its not uncommon for pressure treated wood bearing the mineral copper to be very hard on galvanized fasteners.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Thunderous
If you do a little Googling you will see that its not uncommon for pressure treated wood bearing the mineral copper to be very hard on galvanized fasteners.
Hot dipped?
Old 05-24-2018, 06:53 PM
Registered

Buy cypress bunks.Dont brother with any other wood. No other wood can compare. Then carpet them with something suitable.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster

Lol I never considered that.
my boat slips with just carpet. Plastic sounds dangerous????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.