Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Cumberland Racing? Where??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35472-lake-cumberland-racing-where.html)

Sssizzzle 10-23-2002 11:34 PM

Lake Cumberland Racing? Where???

After several trips to Lake Cumberland I have decided that in order to get a race at the dam, one must have to call in advance to get a race. After 10 different weekends, I have managed to get four races, an old Scarab, a Fountain, an Eliminator and one Profile. There are lots of boats that just sit there looking pretty but I think it would take an RSVP to get them out of their little circles and out to run. Come on guys start those engines, it's all in fun.

halffast 10-23-2002 11:52 PM

I can feel your pain

Yes, you are right, it is hard to get most of them to race down there. There are several who just go down there to be seen and not raced. The boats you raced will always race you and anyone else who is willing. They know it is all in fun. Unfortunately, there are many who don't know just how fun it is. I have been beat by as many as I have won and have yet to get my feelings hurt.

Flyinbrian 10-24-2002 08:32 AM

sign4boat

1 Attachment(s)
Next time we're out there, you can pile the wife, kids, cell phone and dog on my in-laws boat while you go run.

That's what I do. Sometimes if it's not too sloppy I keep the wife on board. When it gets too rough, and I stay in it, my left arm ends up black and blue from the beating I take from her when we are airborne.

Every evening I went to the dam I ran someone. I got smoked a few times doing it too. Once by that Profile.

Flyinbrian 10-24-2002 03:05 PM

It was a 26 footer with a wicked ass mountain motor vs. a 24 Skater with two original 1987 2.4 220's:rolleyes:

We started from a 45 mph roll, where I jumped out in front of him and continued to pull him for a little bit. I held him off for a good mile or so, I was tapped out at 85 mph or. That's when I could see that he was coming on very strong. About the time I went for another look to see where he was, he was blowing past me.

I later heard he runs close to 120.

halffast 10-24-2002 08:07 PM

I would ride with him

This guy is in his early 50s (sorry Dale) and has been fooling with fast boats and building hot engines for years. He was running 80 when everybody else on Lake Cumberland thought 60 was screamin'. Part of his being fast is knowing the boat and its limits.

US1 Fountain 10-24-2002 10:13 PM

Powerboats on Cumberland? Nah, can't be. ;)

Sssizzzle 10-24-2002 11:38 PM

Those are the ones that just set there

I am so glad that you posted that pic. That is exactly the boats I am talking about. Add those to that little group with the two Nordics. the Eliminator and the Green Pachanga and you have the group who just set there like they have corn for sale. Come on guys, you won't get 'em dirty and when you get beat, it don't hurt. Have a little fun!!!

Sssizzzle 10-24-2002 11:44 PM

Where Credit is Due

I didn't mean to leave out that big yellow Baja. Does that thing even run?

CigBoat 10-25-2002 06:32 AM

I think alot of thoes guys that are on the lake every weekend are scared to break something or the just know that there boats are slow compaired to the guys that pull there boats home and mess with them. It is hard to get a drive or anything else fixed when you plan on comming down to the lake every weekend and your boat just sits on a hoist. I on the other hand am young and dumb I will race you anytime I am around. I just want to let you know though that I am sure you will win unless you can only run 65 also.

Flyinbrian 10-25-2002 07:20 AM

The two red arrows point to the guys I run with at Lake Cumberland. The one Fountain on the right is my in-law's boat. The one on the left belongs to their close friends. Both boats have 500s, both of them sit on a hoist during the week, and get used every weekend all summer long.

They like to watch.

They use their boats, they know what they run, and like BAJABOAT said, they don't want to chance breaking something.
In fact, these are the guys you want to buy a used boat from.

They watch me twist the ears off of my old 2.4s.

Flyinbrian 10-25-2002 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoops, forgot to post the pic.

39 Unlimited 10-25-2002 06:04 PM

The 6:00 dam run was the center piece of my Cumberland weekend's until this summer. I think a combination of high gas prices and the wall street blues took it's toll.

Basically the boats that were there this summer have all raced each other many times and are looking for new blood. Halfast - I think you & I did our parts. Already looking forward to 2003, stock market posted second week of solid gains, sniper was caught and most importantly there's a new high performance boat dealer @ Jamestown! Unlimited Marine home of Nordic performance boats.:D

mama tryed 10-25-2002 09:42 PM

Hey Sign-For-Boat,,,, Great Pic!!!! and post!!!! Mama and I ,Tied up to you, at the Falls, The weekend of the Poker Run!!!
{32 Sunsation} We love your kids and will babaysit any time you want to race !!!!!! So I never asked, but what will that Bad A$$ Boat run????? Don't Fib!!! 85mph??? 90mph??? more???

Good to see you guy's pic. !!!!!!! See ya next year!!!

car54driver 10-26-2002 05:57 PM

Sssizzzle I don’t know what boat you drive, but I must have missed you at the dam. I agree it was harder to find a race at the dam this season. Maybe next year.

39 Unlimited 10-27-2002 09:01 AM

Hey Car54, haven't heard much from you lately are you still boating? Planning on coming down this weekend.

car54driver 10-27-2002 08:25 PM

Gary -- I just went to Buzzard's and helped him winterize the boat today. My season is over.

mama tryed 10-28-2002 08:35 PM

Sign4Boat,,,, Thanks for the Pic!!! It makes me ready for Spring, though!!!
Yea, sounds Great, on you Guys Coming Down, just go ahead and plan it now. I dont Know, but I doubt if next years Race Sch. is out yet.. There is always a Race in June, July, and August, but that doesnt matter,, you can come down any time!!! There's always something to do!!!!! We promise you'll have a Good Time!!! :D :D :D

Flyinbrian 10-28-2002 09:35 PM

I found you a race Sssizzzle!

1 Attachment(s)
These pics were taken yesterday afternoon at Lake Cumberland.

Flyinbrian 10-28-2002 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another.
The pics are courtesy a boating bud that was down there yesterday. He e-mailed these to my in-laws and they forwarded them to me.
I don't have any details on the boat.

khadley 10-28-2002 11:43 PM

that looks like the 36 eliminator that lake cumberland marine has or had for sale I wonder if they sold it?

Rick252 10-29-2002 06:21 AM

Re: Lake Cumberland Racing? Where???

Originally posted by Sssizzzle
After several trips to Lake Cumberland I have decided that in order to get a race at the dam, one must have to call in advance to get a race. After 10 different weekends, I have managed to get four races, an old Scarab, a Fountain, an Eliminator and one Profile. There are lots of boats that just sit there looking pretty but I think it would take an RSVP to get them out of their little circles and out to run. Come on guys start those engines, it's all in fun.
Hey Sssizzle, you can't blame me. I try to race everyone I come across. Just a few weeks ago I tried to get one going with a 28 Pantara. I just couldn't catch up with him to let him know we were racin. I think he was scared. :D :D ;)

mama tryed 10-29-2002 06:30 AM

Rick,,:D :D :D :D

ITLLFLI 10-29-2002 09:38 AM

What kind of power does that thing have? It looks sweet!

khadley 10-29-2002 10:07 AM

It has 575's with #6 drives they have more pics on lake cumberland marines website

orangecrush2 11-28-2002 10:51 AM

racing at the dam

sssizzzle, most of the people that i run with at grider hill
have mainly stock power in their boat (500's, 502's and so on)
i have built blower motors that have everything in them that i
can put in them. i know how fast my boat will run and racing
to tear up big dollar engines doesn't make alot of sense.
i like to race as much as the next guy, and occasionally i do race when i know someone doesn't have stock power. if you want to race sometime, stop and talk to me and i will find someone to race. i have the only orange 35 lightining fountain with flames custom paint job around the area at grider hill dock.
p.s. do you have built motors or are you running stock power?
see ya, orange crush 2

BORDERLINE36CAT 11-28-2002 12:33 PM

THANKS FOR BORDERLINE PIC'S

HEY, FLYINBRIAN, THANKS FOR THE PIC'S OF MY "BORDERLINE". AND, THANKS ITLLFLI, IT IS SWEET. BY THE WAY, I KNOW THE ORANGE CRUSH II, AND IT'S COOL TOO !

LPBoater 11-28-2002 02:01 PM

I always race - anytime - who cares about the stock market - it's closed on saturdays - if your worried about gas prices - get a sailboat. If it breaks - fix it. Let's race !!!!

LP

CigBoat 11-28-2002 03:15 PM

With all this talk of racing it sure makes me think that we are going to see more boats show up this year at the dam say six o'clock. Cant wait for spring:D

39 Unlimited 11-29-2002 07:30 AM

LP, spoken like a true dam racing professional..... You got to admit hot boaters, he makes some pretty good points. :D :D :D

39 Unlimited 11-29-2002 07:36 AM

Hey Orangecrush, beware of some boats with stock power, they just might surprise you.

BORDERLINE36CAT 11-29-2002 07:42 AM

hey, orange crush, look's like the water is calling!

LPBoater 11-29-2002 10:55 AM

How much is a dozen ears of corn anyway?

39 Unlimited 11-29-2002 04:49 PM

Sizzzle,

If your referring to my Nordic you could be mistaken, I have gone to the dam every Sat. @ 6:00 Pm now for 10 years, In addition, I have raced everyone at the dam at one time or another. I also know the guy in the green Pacanga, he will race anyone anytime.

The Pacanga runs 80 gps and my Nordic runs 88-89 gps. I do agree with Orange Crush, sometimes it doesn't make sense to race Crownlines or Bayliners. I love a good race and the dam on Sat. night without the wife aka rev-limiter.

US1 Fountain 11-29-2002 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Nordic Gary
Sizzzle,

1) In addition, I have raced everyone at the dam at one time or another.

2) my Nordic runs 88-89 gps.

answer to part 1........Not everyone!
answer to part 2........ See answer to part 1! :D

US1 Fountain 11-29-2002 05:39 PM

Would this be a 22' Pachanga? I didn't know it had a 'mildly' worked over motor. :rolleyes: I had a '87 P22 with 350 that topped out at 59mph. The boat could diffinately handle more than what the 454's could offer. Great boats!
Mine...........

39 Unlimited 11-29-2002 05:41 PM

US-1, OK you got me, most!!! Have also lost my share. Not sure about your point on number 2. GPS numbers are real. I do agree that racing at the dam is 40% of what it used be.

Are you the same US-1 from Indiana?

39 Unlimited 11-29-2002 05:44 PM

The pachanga I think there talking about is a 32' create moters with tunnel rams, stern jacks and modified windshied. Driver known as "The Hawkman"

US1 Fountain 11-29-2002 05:46 PM

Yep Indiana.

Point I was saying.......'I' never raced anyone there.

2nd part.......my boat won't go 89-90 :rolleyes: My guess is that when mine ran 83, it still would get whooped by more than 1/2 of them, so I never tried.

39 Unlimited 11-29-2002 05:49 PM

Have you seen Yellow(Crazy) boat Pete lately?

US1 Fountain 11-29-2002 05:58 PM

Last time was at Cumberland poker run. After he had to repo it from his buyer. Screwed up mess that was. Seen it was for sale again, don't know if it sold or not.
This pic was taken of a friends '46 BT. Just so happens Pete got in there too!
Pete on the right.