Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
MOVING: Galveston or Corpus Cristie? >

MOVING: Galveston or Corpus Cristie?

Notices

MOVING: Galveston or Corpus Cristie?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MOVING: Galveston or Corpus Cristie?

Hello,

Im finally at the point where I'm looking to move out of California (Kommie-Fornia) because it's just too EXPENSIVE. I've been looking in the Galveston and Corpus Cristie areas (and surrounding bays of each) which one is better for boating? Are there bars and restaurants to drive up to and dock with your boat? Are there boating clubs to meet fellow boaters and hangout? I'm not a big drinker, but a fun day on the water with a drink and lunch / dinner is very appealing! I'm looking at buying a 30' -35' offshore boat again if I move and will not be doing any fishing.

I'd like your experiences on either or both if you live in Texas. Thank you in advance!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Semper Fi, I'm about 2 days out from making a move to Corpus from Miami.

Lived in Corpus for about 6 months before Miami and have done some extensive research on the area. I don't personally know of any clubs for offshore boats down in the Corpus area. Up near Galveston you have the TOPPS club, they do a lot of the Florida Powerboat Club events; Texas Outlaw Challenge, Tickfaw, and other poker/fun runs. Lake Travis also has their LTPA club.

Corpus Bay is also very shallow in many areas. I used to have a Donzi 22 Classic that ran aground out there (all sand - thank goodness) and we were in the channel, so we thought.

As for restaurants on the water, I think there are about 3, all within a stones throw of each other. We decided it wouldn't be worth dunking the boat in the salt if we're only stay on the bay in Corpus, not enough to do, water doesn't look all that clean either (brown), we've been spoiled in Miami.

We'll be trailering to Lake Travis up near Austin or to Canyon Lake.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Definitely Galveston/Clearlake area.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will concur with the above comments. Corpus Christi residents and visitors have very little interest in the offshore performance boat market. There is a high level of offshore fishing interest at nearby Port Aransas and Rockport. There is a lot of offshore performance boat interest in the Houston/Clear Lake areas. In fact, Clear Lake has the highest boat per capita ratio in the nation. Large numbers of power and sailing craft. If you prefer clean, fresh water boating, take a trip over to Lake Travis outside of Austin. It is known as the jewel of the central Texas highland lakes chain.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

as stated corpus area is mostly fishing communitys
more of a mix here out of Galveston ,,,fishing,sailing and offshore powerboats
we hove poker runs through topps group and lots of fun runs
between tx and lousiana have lots of poker runs through the yr and tad further Biloxi,gulfport and destin is few more to add on
lake travis has a few through yr also so plenty to do based out of galveston bat to gulf to travis
canyon lake and conroe are small lakes but do have some things to do
cat or vee I would do 32 as the smallest as most poker runs are in our bays to the gulf
and -30 boats get hard on u when wind and water goes rough,,,,
if move down give me a shout,,,,were heading to travis in a few weeks for poker run,,,outlaw challenge was a week ago
Old 07-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

If you are looking for a replacement for the "River" and/or "Delta", well sorry. There is nothing comparable that I have found near here. Of your choices there is no question Galveston/Clear Lake/Kemah is the place. Good luck on your move
Old 07-02-2018, 10:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for the responses guys. Your replies definitely helped me narrow my search to Galveston and surrounding areas!!!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:09 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will you be working in Houston? If so you will need to give some serious consideration to your drive. If not then Clear Lake, Dickenson Bayou, and even Rio Villa are all great areas for water front living, all are potentially prone to flooding, make sure and research water levels during Hurricane Ike and TS Harvey.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Registered

The water is prettier the further south you go towards and past CC. Neither area compares to FL or CA for water beauty, coastal living or powerboating activity. I'd suggest you do some serious reconnoitering before making a decision. If turquoise blue water and lots of coastal bars and boats is your thing, you might need to adjust your expectations a bit.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderous
The water is prettier the further south you go towards and past CC. Neither area compares to FL or CA for water beauty, coastal living or powerboating activity. I'd suggest you do some serious reconnoitering before making a decision. If turquoise blue water and lots of coastal bars and boats is your thing, you might need to adjust your expectations a bit.
I appreciate all the help, but I realize there's a good and bad about moving and I decided what is best for me so I want to check out Galveston and the surrounding areas. I realize where I live now is different and really beautiful, but Im tired of the piece of crap liberals, the BS in this state, ridiculous sanctuary state (don't get me started here) and the list goes on and on and literally on. They are really ruining the state of California. Politics, I HATE those scumbag mother****ers!!! (yes, thats how I really feel )

Am I giving up some things, yes, but also I live in a townhome and I wanna buy an actual home again, preferably on the water. A home here on the water starts at like $1.5MM and that's a townhome in Huntington beach and they are outdated!!! To give you an idea how expensive it is here the "median" home price in the US in somewhere like $250K, in Costa Mesa where I live is around $825K....and next door is Newport Beach which the "median" home price is like $2.2MM!! Texas also doesn't have state tax!! The places I've been looking in Texas are like 60%+ LESS than California for a comparable home!! It's crazy here, drive around Newport Beach for just 1 hour and it's like a car show, your almost guaranteed to see at least 5 Lamborghini's or Ferrari's, a t least a few more Bentley's and Rolls Royce, McClaren's, a Koneegsegg, Bugatti's, and a **** ton of high end Mercedes and BMW's. And yes, alot of people are spending more than they have, but there's ALOT of seriously rich people here also. I'm not in the "rich" cirlce, but I have a few pretty well off aqaintences and they have numerous cars that cost more monthly than a normal house (of course they have the income to support also)

I work from home, selling insurance and work with business owners to reduce their taxes, protect their business, etc... so I dont have to drive anywhere on a regular basis. This nation seems more divided now than ever, and California is really one of the front leaders to making it all worse. Texas has alot more pride of being American, supporting troops, following the laws, etc... (gee, what a concept to follow the laws and Constitution) The bottom line is I'm ready for a change, after summer I'm gonna take a trip out to Texas for a 3 day weekend and have a look around!

Last edited by Semper Fi; 07-03-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: you removed all my good swear words!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.