Sunglasses & Boating, Some Observations >

Sunglasses & Boating, Some Observations

Notices

Sunglasses & Boating, Some Observations

Old 07-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I have about twenty pairs of varying styles and type, Unfortunately they are at the bottom of Galveston Bay. I still prefer polarized when I can keep them.
LOL! After dropping a pair or two into the lake, I finally got me some lanyards...
Old 07-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've had Oakley SideCars, Guarddogs, Bomber Sunglasses, and recently turned on to Shady Rays.

Oakley SideCars have easily and readily replaceable lenses, that you can buy on Amazon in a variety of options.

https://shadyrays.com/collections/x-series

I'm really happy with them, and the price is right.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I stick with an old pair of Revo polarized sun glasses that have flat glass not plastic/composite lenses. Replace the nose piece and hinges occasionally. I find the wrap around style fits closer to your face and a sweat and sun screen mixtures always messes up the lenses.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave up on nice glasses myself... losing em, breaking em and so on. Started buying these Gulp glasses at Walmart for $9.99. Not too polarized to mess up the water and gps screen is visible. I get stray tension migraines and those glasses work well enough to keep them away while out in the sun all day. Lose or break... no worries at 10 bucks. Was a great find (by accident) in a pinch for shades.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm lucky to get a year out of sunglasses before I break or lose them so I don't buy super expensive ones. I have two new pairs on order from Aeropostale. They are identical except one is polarizing and one is not. They have the lenses that are darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. I will be able to do a direct comparison with them. I should have mentioned the issue with reading screens with polarized glasses. I have to tilt my head sometimes and some seem to have more effective polarizing. I do have a strap for them but don't usually use it.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have bought replacement lenses from here ,https://www.revantoptics.com/
Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

I loved MJs, but would only get so long ( approx 1 yr) before coatings on lens would start peeling. they also seemed to scratch relatively easy. Got tired of paying big money for them and ended switching to Smith Optics. They have been really good. Dont scratch near as easy, lenses dont seem to hold dirt and dust as much. I used to have to wash my MJs all the time. The Smiths, it is like once a month or so. Lenses are also interchangeable, and most pairs come with multi sets of lenses to start with
Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
I loved MJs, but would only get so long ( approx 1 yr) before coatings on lens would start peeling. they also seemed to scratch relatively easy. Got tired of paying big money for them and ended switching to Smith Optics. They have been really good. Dont scratch near as easy, lenses dont seem to hold dirt and dust as much. I used to have to wash my MJs all the time. The Smiths, it is like once a month or so. Lenses are also interchangeable, and most pairs come with multi sets of lenses to start with
I have Smith Optics for my shooting safety glasses. Very nice. I don't have a problem with the MJ lenses in terms of peeling/scratching but yes they do need constant cleaning. I also have an issue with the mat finish on the frames wearing off. MJ is a local company to me and are very good about making right any issues with their glasses.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 07-10-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I've tried a lot of different brands too, Ray Ban, Oakley, Guard Dogs, Bomber. I currently wear polarized prescription Ray Bans (4115). I do have trouble seeing my GPS at certain angles, but I just peer above my glasses real quick. This only happens in certain light conditions. Never any trouble reading the water. My previous boats had zero wind protection so I usually wore the Guard Dogs while I was riding, then switch to regular sunglasses when stopped. Current boat is pretty windy too, but I can get by with the Ray Bans.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Polarized Ray Ban's or Rheos. I have the GPS screen backlighting at max. Never have any trouble seeing it.

https://www.rheosgear.com

These glasses float and the lens quality is pretty good for the price. Get the blue marine lens.

Last edited by Ryan00TJ; 07-11-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.