Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cincinnati folks - Questions... >

Cincinnati folks - Questions...

Notices

Cincinnati folks - Questions...

Old 10-24-2002, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Cincinnati folks - Questions...

Possibly moving to your area.

I'm used to living in Toledo - been boating on Lake Erie/Maumee river for 20 years. - I love the open water here.

Had to move to Pittsburgh for 2 years and hated the three rivers - had to go through locks every 10 miles and not really much to do on the water ( Bars, Reastaurants, Beaches....)
Not much in the way of performance boats either,( not much use when you're only going 10 miles before a lock...)

Just wanted to find out about the water down there and if there is lots to do????

I'm used to making a day run to Detroit or Canada, or just running around to the river front restaurants and bars for reggae night and karaoke night.... And hanging out in groups that like to do the same. ( Holy Hell - I feel like I'm looking for a date .. HAHA)

but really just wanted to know how the water is...
Lotsa cops??
No Wake Zones?
Protected Marinas?
How expensive are Marinas?
Any website that could tell me about the river area?

anyone willing to show me around when I get there - If the job goes through?

thanks

keep the blades in the water and dry out the hull

bouy
Old 10-24-2002, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ohio river

bouyhunter: come on down , it is 90 miles between dams and we are only 186 miles from lake cumberland if you trailer your boat. We have plenty of bars on the river to go to. probably the best one were all of the go fast ones hang is Ludlow Yachet Club aka the knife and gun club. Everyone is there on Saturday afternoon or sunday around 3:00pm. Somebody is always doing blow bys somewhere between there and river bend. fast women and fast boats is the only way to live. Hope to see you there next season.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:48 PM
Allan4

Wildman.....HaaaaaaaaHaaaaaa, the gun and knife club We like to call it The Goat Bar

Hey bouy, there is plenty to do on the river. I run around with about 10 other high perf guys. Couple big cats, fast vees...pretty much the whole gamant. I would say ther a total of about 30-40 high perf boats running around during the season. Lots of Fountains and Bajas and a nice crew of cats. There are about 5-7 bars on the water within a 10 mile stretch or so. Not saying it is the hottest area in the midwest, but it can keep you busy. The Goat Bar is where we usually meet up at some point, like W1 said. Some guys party all night and tie up there, I have. Hell, there have been times where I see buddies LAUNCHING at 11 pm to party all night!!!

On river storage...Captains Cove, Water town, California YC, Mariners Cove.....and about another dozen or so smaller places. Most of them have resturants and the such.

Cumberland, Michigan, and Chicago (almost) are about 4 hours, so plenty of access a few hours away. Usually make a PIB run at some point. Plenty to do, come on down. Boat from about Early April (Brookville Lake---45 min from Cincy) to late OCt, early Nov. At any rate, much better than Detroit North or Steel town Later.

Old 10-25-2002, 05:17 AM
Registered

wildman, Alan,

Thanks for the reply,

Possibly have a new job down there (if the money is right) - just wanna make sure I don't make the mistake like moving to Pittsburgh ( water water everywhere, and not a drop to scream across)

are the marinas protected with breakwalls?
In Pittsburgh they aren't and it's like a no wake zone in front of every marina.

I want to find a marina just to drop in on weekends. Drop in Thurs or Fri, pull Sunday.

and of course - PIB runs are the best - but have to bring the wife - I'd get in trouble otherwise.

I'll keep ya posted on the job so we can hook up when/if I get there.

Thanks
Bouy
Old 10-25-2002, 06:06 AM
Registered

The marinas are protected back in off the river so the river is open to run, except when the water cops are out through downtown. There is a no wake zone between the 75 and 471 bridge ( downtown ) but the cops are not out all the time and everyone blows through.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:32 AM
Kentz

Tell us the size of your boat. I've used 3-4 marinas over the last 10 years, from 23/26 and now 34'. Do you prefer in-building rack storage or left on the trailer?

Old 10-25-2002, 06:41 AM
Registered

Bouy, you should come down next weekend. Some of us OSO'ERS are meeting there to run up and down the river! Come down and have some fun!
Old 10-26-2002, 05:04 AM
Registered

Default thanks..

I have a 25 baja and a 19 wellcraft - looking to get rid of both, and start with something new-to-me (knowing me it will be a "project" boat) probably an older 30'ish scarab fountain etc... i'd love a 33 Donzi - but$$$$$

I used to run the Baja pretty hard on lake erie = love wave crashing
I always kept it in the water, - but I don't think I wanna do that with the next boat.

would love to make it down for the weekend - might be there on another interview - but the boat is in pieces right now. you know the story - start fixing one thing , next thing you know the boat looks like it puked.....

if I wind up coming down i'll let you know - i'll by you a beer for a tour of the area..

Thanks

Bouy
Old 10-26-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of boating down here......We tow to Erie alot....
Also Cumberland is close enough....
We need to start putting more things together here on the river.