When will you buy your LAST boat? >

When will you buy your LAST boat?

Notices

When will you buy your LAST boat?

Old 07-18-2018, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last boat is the same as my first boat....but with 30 yrs of upgrades.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Gave up all the dangerous and frivolous toys some 3 decades ago when the wife became pregnant. The daughter is on her own and successful so it may be time to pursue the log term desire to go performance boating.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

Thanks everyone, interesting answers.

OK, I'm 54 and have downsized a couple of times primarily due to lack of use and just financially sensible rather than holding too much $$ in a typically shrinking asset. My plan was to keep my current boat until I'm 60 ish then decide on going back to a bigger boat, probably cruiser, or staying smaller performance boat but brand new. Haven't bought a brand new boat for a long time and like the idea of owning exactly what I want rather than what someone else wanted.

I'm still a little way from that point but now realise that my next boat will probably be my last boat. Hopefully finances will be good at the time so I might be tempted to spend more. I'm not filthy rich at all but I plan to enjoy what I have, but like everyone, I don't know when to start enjoying it......

RR

P.S. I'm especially happy to read comments from those who love their current boats so much they will be their last boats.

Last edited by rak rua; 07-18-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

That answer won't be known until I'm dead
Old 07-19-2018, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I have run a twin engine Talon for the past 9 years predominately by myself, and sucked it up during the high fuel prices. At 51 years old I want a 24x7 something with a single outboard as I hope to retire by 60. The tuff 24 would be my first choice but a Progression, Kryptonite, Phantom or variant there of with an OB will be my next ride. I figure if I buy and older hull I can have two. I would like an Argo, Yuka or Twister catamaran for my speed fix.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought my last boat (30 Superboat) was going to be my last. I love my current boat and the style of boat really works great for my family. I can see it being my last, or another similar boat with a few changes. I would also like a small fast boat to rip around in, thinking about a 21 Superboat w/OB. But, I really want waterfront property, and would rather put my $$ into an appreciating asset rather than another boat.

I'm 52 and getting tired of working. So, if dumping more $$ into a boat is going to delay my retirement, I will stick with what I have now.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I have wanted a Fountain for almost 30 years and I bought a a1997 single engine 29 Fever Labor Day 2016. I thought it was going to need a little work but I have been working on it for almost 2 years. It has been a classic restoration job: much more expensive and it has become a joke to my friends when they ask when it will be ready. Thank goodness I kept my old boat.

When completed, it will have new paint,new cockpit skins, new carpet cockpit and cabin, new custom cockpit cover, new gauges, new windshield and new retractable ladder for getting out of the water on the swim platform, new Garmin 741, new VHF radio and a new 2000 watt stereo.

When i discovered that there was rust inside the 525 SC , I decided to build a strong NA 540 with a blower motor bottom ,4340 crank and rods, aluminum Brodix heads, and an 800 HP Holley fuel injection system. The Holley was on back order and after 6 monthes of waiting, I bought the 800 HP Fitech system. I bought an upgraded drive with Imco SCX upper and a-2 Imco SC. I also bought a Drive Guardian. The first prop will be a Hydromotive P5X.

As you can see, my initial estimate of 20-25K and to be in the water by early Spring 2017 did not happen. So when I finally get in the water, I expect this will be the last sport boat I will buy. A 64 year old man should be contented with the fast boat fleet of the Fountain and my 23 foot 300xs outboard.

The beautiful thing about OSO is that I can see that I am not the first or will I be the last one that one that falls into the restoration trap. The sad thing is I went through the same journey with my smaller boat 10 years ago.

B.O.A.T.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

I can see this as my last boat. I bought it new for about the price of a 400r! Not in that big boat league! Anyway, I'm 61 and figure in about10- 15 years I'll be sick of dragging it out and playing with it. Then I can sell it and get some money back. For now it fits my lifestyle, and fits in the garage.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

One thing I've learned from this thread..........most of you are old as dirt, myself included. (56)
Seriously, it seems the majority of regulars on here are 50+. I'm kinda surprised by that.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
One thing I've learned from this thread..........most of you are old as dirt, myself included. (56)
Seriously, it seems the majority of regulars on here are 50+. I'm kinda surprised by that.
I've been noticing that for some time now. I never ask people their age but often, it comes out in a post. Sometimes they state their age or sometimes refer to their first boat in the late 70's or seeing Elvis live and similar obvious clues. This thread is aimed more at the mature age boater but always like to see what younger guys think too as they are the future. The age factor no doubt plays a part in the changes on OSO that many of the long term members have talked about.

I still can't definitively answer my own question but good to read the responses so far.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 07-19-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.