Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
1999 Scarab AVS - w 502 MPI's - What to do??? >

1999 Scarab AVS - w 502 MPI's - What to do???

Notices

1999 Scarab AVS - w 502 MPI's - What to do???

Old 07-31-2018, 10:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Scarab AVS - w 502 MPI's - What to do???

So, I have been running my Scarab for about 12 years. Always kept indoors since original sale. Paint in great shape and upholstery is fine. Starboard engine finally took a dump and is non-rebuildable. I'm trying to figure options. Love the size, style and handling. For my needs its been great and the last day I had her out I was happy to have her. Of course I WANT another boat but I don't NEED one.

What I am wondering, what is the "value" of a vessel like mine AS IS vs going ahead and replacing the engine. Will I be money behind or be about even if I replace the engine? I know I need to find the right buyer
Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by SANLEONKID
So, I have been running my Scarab for about 12 years. Always kept indoors since original sale. Paint in great shape and upholstery is fine. Starboard engine finally took a dump and is non-rebuildable. I'm trying to figure options. Love the size, style and handling. For my needs its been great and the last day I had her out I was happy to have her. Of course I WANT another boat but I don't NEED one.

What I am wondering, what is the "value" of a vessel like mine AS IS vs going ahead and replacing the engine. Will I be money behind or be about even if I replace the engine? I know I need to find the right buyer

Assuming it has simple 502's in it you would be nuts not to put another 502 in it before trying to sell the boat. With a hurt motor it is going to be seen by buyers as a project boat and priced accordingly.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I'd replace the hurt engine.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Non rebuildable as in block is scrap? Even if that's the case buying a new block with all new internals isn't going to break the bank. If you like the boat that would be my direction. If you sell you should expect to get fair market value minus the price of a new engine x 2. JMO
Old 07-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What $$$ range do you think I would be looking at for a replacement?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Non rebuildable as in block is scrap? Even if that's the case buying a new block with all new internals isn't going to break the bank. If you like the boat that would be my direction. If you sell you should expect to get fair market value minus the price of a new engine x 2. JMO
yup. If I was looking at a boat that had one blown engine and one still original engine my thoughts would be they are run the same and the other one isn’t far behind.

but with how good those ran I’d be tempted to put some money into it and keep it lol.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the boat. Get a GM crate long block and just switch all the rest of the parts. Short block all new parts 5K. Or find a rebuildable one.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Nailed it. They are both gone as far as I’m concerned. Don’t know the hours but those can get up to 1000 hrs sometimes. If so, my take is you got your money’s worth. Wouldn’t be much to pull them and do a rebuild on both and keep enjoying the boat. The old scarabs have a good look IMO. Or.....sink it as is, LOL