Advise on 1994 47 Fountain SC >

Advise on 1994 47 Fountain SC

Notices

Advise on 1994 47 Fountain SC

Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on 1994 47 Fountain SC

Hi guys it's been awhile and need your input. Have a friend asking me to buy a 94 Fountain 47 SC. I whould only be interested if I could sell it, I have no use for it but if there's money in it I'm in. Equipped with 3 502 mercs says that 2 are in great shape other one close to having to rebuild. No trailer but suppose to be a "decent boat". Is there anything I should be wary of as far as shortcomings with the Hull or anything else? I looked at values but they won't write a check for it so I would like some opinions based on having to spend 5k to get it really nice inside and out. There is no trailer in the deal. Is there a market for this? Here is a link to it.

http://www.pbautogroup.com/vehicle/u...lersite#ar_top

Thanks for any and all information.

​​​

Last edited by Mseuro; 08-11-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Registered

Have to say I really miss the water, as you may or may not know I sold my boat and bought a big tractor......from pirate to green acres in one move. I am getting our property ready for when we retire in 4 years.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Never seen one but from my reading on places like OSO, I'd say it's not a great deal.

They are a big older style express cruiser that didn't sell very well. Wave crusher......? Yes, but no speed demon. I can imagine all sorts of ways to spend your extra 5k and still have a boat that won't sell easily. It's so easy to pour money into a 24 year old boat and get no return. All the electrical systems, switch panels, toilet pump, switches, gauges, bilge pumps, blowers, cooktop, fridge, lighting, heating/aircon (if fitted) are old and probably outdated or even obsolete. Engines are pretty straightforward but at that age, I'd guess all three might be feeling a bit tired. Check the hull and stringers for the usual soft spots. Good inspection will tell you about trim and cosmetic stuff but on a 47' boat, there's a lot of it!

Just my opinion, if you wanted a boat to own and like the appearance then you could have a nice sports cruiser but if you're hoping to do a little work then make a few bucks, I don't think it's the right boat.

Hopefully someone with hands on knowledge will jump in (maybe flame me) and offer up an opinion.

RR

EDIT: Sorry to be a 'downer' here but I've also noticed anti-foul on the hull. Not popular on a performance boat and also a sign she's probably been left in the water with three bravos to incur the wrath of Mother Nature.

Last edited by rak rua; 08-11-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:02 PM
Registered

I agree that at 55000.00 I would not consider it but it was priced to me at much less. I think that it will sell in the mid to high 40's. They are sending me the server that was recently performed.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Not so important but is that arch in the normal position? Looks like they've removed the windscreen side panels to install the arch. (They probably had a few changes in production and custom orders too so maybe nothing wrong but I thought it looked different).

Old 08-12-2018, 12:15 AM
Registered

Nice catch, I have not seen in person, when they send inspection report I will decide if I'm going to fly down to look.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:38 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

IMO, there is no real money to be made on it. You could end up sitting on it for a long time. What about transportation and storage??? Figure in both costs for at least a year because you could be stuck with it for a while. A 24 year old trip engine boat is no easy sale. If it was such a great deal, a broker or dealer would buy it.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:27 AM
Registered

I could not agree with you more on every point you make. Here are some things to add. For one thing I am a dealer, most of what I buy are high end cars, trucks, RV's, and a few boats, just bought a Mastercraft today. I would leave the boat in Florida so transport is not a concern, storage would be at a dealership in the area. I would not pay anything close to 55k for the boat, with that in mind I think the boat will sell for between 45 to 49 if it is as nice as they say. I see no real comps in the market because there are so few of them so the price of 45 to 49 is just an educated guess, that's why I'm asking for opinions from people like yourself. To tell you the truth I'm scared of anything with trips, hell one is pain enough.

Last edited by Mseuro; 08-12-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mseuro
I could not agree with you more on every point you make. Here are some things to add. For one thing I am a dealer, most of what I buy are high end cars, trucks, RV's, and a few boats, just bought a Mastercraft today. I would leave the boat in Florida so transport is not a concern, storage would be at a dealership in the area. I would not pay anything close to 55k for the boat, with that in mind I think the boat will sell for between 45 to 49 if it is as nice as they say. I see no real comps in the market because there are so few of them so the price of 45 to 49 is just an educated guess, that's why I'm asking for opinions from people like yourself. To tell you the truth I'm scared of anything with trips, hell one is pain enough.

If you go look at it , see if you can read any former name on the boat. Roger King had a very similar boat named "Double Jeopardy." He lived about 20 mins from where the boat is now. Roger King owned King World Productions (producer of Oprah, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune).

Personally, I wouldn't touch that boat for more than 20-25K. The storage alone is probably costing the current owner $1200+ a month and the insurance is probably unobtainable due to the location of the boat and the age. There is no upside to the boat and very very limited buyers (triples, undesirable SC hull, tough to tow). Rebuilt one motor and you know the other two are right behind it.

Search OSO for the guy that rebuilt a triple 42. He did a great job, boat looked awesome but couldn't find a buyer so he was considering parting it out!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Here's the reason I got out of an older Fountain, wet stringer and bulkhead. Just consider the costs to remove everything from that engine compartment to begin the repairs. Now consider the repair costs.
You can also make money by flipping a newer boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.