Notices

Engine swaps for economy

Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuel economy for me has everything to do with my right hand.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you the LS sip fuel compared to a BBC there combustion champers are just that much more efficient. That being fuel still contains X amount of BTU whether its in a BBC or LS or briggs motor. Those BTU are what drive your piston down and spin the crankshaft.

Something you can do with a LS that aren't as easy as todo with say a MPI motor is set your fuel burn at cruise to pretty lean. Due to the efficiency of the cylinder heads, the port fuel injection and your abilty with cam sensor to control end of injection events you can get the most out of each gallon of gas.

I know on my boat at 3k rpms is pretty close to 30mph and roughly 30 percent throttle, so what I did in my ECU is set my lamda to be 1 (afr 14.7) and my timing up there(each motor is different) I have a full function knock detection on the boat so I don't have to worry as much about part throttle detonation. I can actually go as lean as 15.0 and timing up 4 degree before I see any kinds of knock showing up. Plenty safe.

From the caculations I have done I burn roughly the same fuel at cruise that my boat did when it had a 4cly mecruiser motor in it.

What does all this mean, pretty much nothing. The cost and TIME you spend changing this over and hell even just dyno tuning the motor to peak performance will never pay off compared to what those BBC drink for fuel. If you think boat gas is expensive don't look at air planes.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:35 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Buy a single OB boat.
Fixed it for you.....

SOB MPG

Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great points. I like the idea of:
Tuning what I have to be more efficient at cruise. I bought a LM-2 and MEFIBurn. Can anyone spend a few minutes to start me off in the right direction with this.
Alum LS engine would be efficent due to the weight and modern design.
And yes I know boating is EXPENSIVE this is my 6th boat!!! Too much fun!!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe go up a prop pitch for lower rpm at cruise, trade off is your top speed rpm will be affected.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

A buddy and I both bought similar Tundas but he got the V6 and I got the V8 but my mileage was nearly identical because he was wfo all the time to go the same speed I cruised at. It takes X amount of HP to go Y speed. The smaller engine just has to work harder for the same result.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Gas cost is nothing in performance. boating. Big boat and high speeds = high fuel costs. Go little and go slow if you are worried about fuel cost.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

What he^^^^^ said. If your are concerned about fuel cost take up dirt bikes or something because fuel is the Least expensive part.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 415 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700
I can tell you the LS sip fuel compared to a BBC there combustion champers are just that much more efficient. That being fuel still contains X amount of BTU whether its in a BBC or LS or briggs motor. Those BTU are what drive your piston down and spin the crankshaft.

Something you can do with a LS that aren't as easy as todo with say a MPI motor is set your fuel burn at cruise to pretty lean. Due to the efficiency of the cylinder heads, the port fuel injection and your abilty with cam sensor to control end of injection events you can get the most out of each gallon of gas.

I know on my boat at 3k rpms is pretty close to 30mph and roughly 30 percent throttle, so what I did in my ECU is set my lamda to be 1 (afr 14.7) and my timing up there(each motor is different) I have a full function knock detection on the boat so I don't have to worry as much about part throttle detonation. I can actually go as lean as 15.0 and timing up 4 degree before I see any kinds of knock showing up. Plenty safe.

From the caculations I have done I burn roughly the same fuel at cruise that my boat did when it had a 4cly mecruiser motor in it.

What does all this mean, pretty much nothing. The cost and TIME you spend changing this over and hell even just dyno tuning the motor to peak performance will never pay off compared to what those BBC drink for fuel. If you think boat gas is expensive don't look at air planes.
That's why I went with a 8.1. It's the big brother of the LS series.

Just curious what the load is at your 3000rpm cruise speed?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

For 50k plus an ILMOR gets pretty good WFO MPG
110 Gallons at $3.33 = $366.30
But 50k, buys around 136.5 fill ups, at $3.33 a gallon.
At least for me thats a lot of boating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.