Notices

hard to get on plane

Old 08-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard to get on plane

I have a 2008 39 Top Gun w/700's. The boat was very hard to get on plane in saltwater, almost impossible now in michigan on freshwater. Running 17x34 Herrings. Boat runs well on top end if you can ever get it up on plane [105]. I would like a good hole shot and am willing to change props but B-Blades says I need adapters to run non cleavers and Mercury racing no longer makes them for the NXT's. Any suggestions?
Bernie
Old 08-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I doubt you're going to have a "holeshot" in that boat. However, I have 0 driving experience in Cigarettes. If this is a new to you boat, keep practicing. I'd bet you'll figure it out. Mine was a b*tch to get on plane when I first got it. (so was the 35 Fountain I had)

Tabs down
Drives in
Easy on the throttle to get it rolling (max 3500 rpm). Start bumping the tabs up slowly so the boat will gain speed.

My props will blow out quickly if I don't take it easy. They are 17 x 37 Herings.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks All In. I’ll try your suggestions. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What I did was adjust things in order to get more negative trim ( drive goes down more)
My Daytona gets on plane with a 4 blade Bravo prop and my prop shaft is at 2 inches above the hull.
Before I did that it wouldn't even try to get on plane.