Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercruiser 496 ho whipple supercharger HELP. >

Mercruiser 496 ho whipple supercharger HELP.

Notices

Mercruiser 496 ho whipple supercharger HELP.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser 496 ho whipple supercharger HELP.

Hello all. I bought a boat with a 2006 496ho whipple supercharger. Motor had 40 hours since rebuilt with super charger. All the internals have been ungraded to support the supercharger. I recently started loosing fuel pressure while under load. It has a upgraded fuel filter water separator. I have changed the filter several times. Upgraded fuel pick up and fuel lines. I have a areomotive fuele pressure regulator set at 49psi per whipple recommendation.
While running under load fuel pressure drops to less than 20 and it Boggs big time. I have to shut the boat off and wait a few min. Then start back up and pressure comes up to 49 while idle and in neutral.
I have a high flow electric fuel pump. Took it apart and looks brand new. Cleaned all the connections put a double ground on it and has its own deadacated clean power wire run. 10 gauge.
any suggestions? Going to take the fuel pressure regular apart and see what it looks like.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a similar issue years ago with a 454 mag engine. It ended up being the fuel line from the tank to the engine. It had a soft spot in the line that was partially collapsing under load. The boat, and fuel line was brand new. replaced the line and never had the problem again.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Do you still run a booster pump or just the single high pressure pump?
Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Do you still run a booster pump or just the single high pressure pump?
From what I can see I am just running the high pressure pump. I thought about the gen3 paint issue, but almost positive it was bypassed. When the high pressure pump was installed. I can’t get to the bottom of engine to see. My try a borescope to get under there.