The pros of having steps in the hull >

The pros of having steps in the hull

Notices

The pros of having steps in the hull

Old 09-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 745 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Heres a question on stepped hulls, i understand all the theory, etc and how its supposed to help. I own a 33 scarab AVS, runs 85 w 500efis, the mpi 502 versions run 76 to 78ish. The boats titled as a 31, if you look at a slightly older 31 or 33 scarab they look identical except the bottom with its agressive steps. So, if it only makes them faster in smooth water, how come the non stepped versions are 6 to 10 mph slower in rough water and smooth water? How come.my boat still runs 84 or 85 in rougher water, how come the non stepped ones DONT go 6 to 10mph FASTER in rougher water. Serious question, thanks, Smitty
In really rough water both types of hulls are never in a situation where there is equal wetted surface, they're both in and out of the water and possibly the stepped hull doesn't aerate well.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:41 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

And steps vs pad keel?
OL 29, Velocity VR1, Tuff 28...