Like Tree13Likes

Undocking

Old 09-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Registered

I almost exclusively use the shifters for docking. It's just the getting away perpendicular in a tight spot gives me trouble unless I get a shove from the bow. I dont want to be the one that stuffs the stern or drive into a dock.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

I would just go hard over to swing the stern out, once it was out beyond the other boats I'd straighten them out and spin it with the sticks keeping the momentum going. Pretty simple actually. Most other times for docking or tight maneuvering I'd keep the drives straight and just use the sticks.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:31 PM
Registered

Helps to know which way the props are turning forward and reverse. For example, with dock to starboard, if props are turning out (starboard clock wise) then the starbard side reverse will pull the stern to port when in reverse and vice versa if the props are turning in. Use whatever side you need to pull the stern out and whatever side you don't need to tap forward to keep it from reversing. Helps to park with your stern into the wind and/or current as well.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Registered

If the boat was docked with the starboard side touching the dock, I just click the port engine in forward gear for a second or 2 and then hit the bow thruster to the port side for a few seconds...

Chris
Old 09-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

As long as you have a helper/first mate, they can also help you by using a long line and cleat on the dock to "anchor" off of.
Cleat the looped end of line to the boat as you normally would...
...take the bitter end, and run it AROUND a cleat on the dock...
...and then bring the bitter end to back to the bow of the boat and cleat it close to the end of the line.

This provides you with a long loose loop, that is only over/around the cleat on the dock.

You can then use the drives to pivot the rear of the boat away from the dock. You can do this until your are 90* perpendicular to the dock if you want.

Then have your first mate/helper, undo the bitter end of the line; and drop it in the water. You back away from the dock, as the bitter end comes around the dock cleat, and they pull in the line; remove it from the cleat on the boat, and come back to the cockpit.

Yes, your line gets wet, but you can do this in a 20mph wind toward the dock if you had to.
TexomaPowerboater likes this.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Registered

Drive a skid loader for an hour, same concept. Some boats react quicker than others using the sticks. Our Arneson boat has a bit more control than our bravo boat. However the bravo boat reacted very well.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by apex svt View Post
Drive a skid loader for an hour, same concept. Some boats react quicker than others using the sticks. Our Arneson boat has a bit more control than our bravo boat. However the bravo boat reacted very well.
**Of significant note:
Bobcat is the only one that uses two sticks, still.
Everyone else is single joystick for motion, and single joystick for controls.