Swimming on a live race course >

Swimming on a live race course

Notices

Swimming on a live race course

Old 10-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I have to believe all those boats have spotters communicating with them as well. All communication is heard threw there earphones so the noise in the boat is not an issue.
I see it every year where a boat continues even though Race Control has told them to stop. I believe race control uses both vhf open channel and a separate private radio as well, don't they? So I was just giving the benefit of the doubt even though I do understand they can most likely hear Race Control. Not to mention see flag boats...

Last edited by low_psi; 10-02-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez, can you imagine being this f**jing stupid. I heard they charged him with felonious mopery
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In years past we would try to wait for the other boats we were racing to stop first, but that was more so at the end of the race when the lap count wasn't 100% certain. The first thing we heard was Race Control saying to checkered flag the race, stop the race. We didn't hear any request to slow first. A naked swimmer on the course is certainly a first.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by obrien

no tie bar between the drives but there is a very sharp rudder at the end of that tunnel
Old 10-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
I see it every year where a boat continues even though Race Control has told them to stop. I believe race control uses both vhf open channel and a separate private radio as well, don't they? So I was just giving the benefit of the doubt even though I do understand they can most likely hear Race Control. Not to mention see flag boats...
race control broadcasts on open channel 78A, most all teams that use ptt through a vhf only monitor 78A during the mill or if they have an issue/need assistance. After they are set for the race most every team that has the ability to hear their vhf through their intercom has moved onto their private channel with their crew. No longer monitoring 78A. So unless one of their spotters (also who have switched off of 78A to communicate with their team) hears race control no one is even thinking about race control honestly. It’s all lap time intervals ect. And if you don’t have your vhf wired into your intercom or for some reason you don’t have an intercom you definitely are not going to hear a vhf with a helmet on and an engine running. And race control doesn’t take kindly to accidentally trying to communicate with your team on 78A. Been there lol.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:05 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I would believe you are correct. It was concerning to me watching the whole thing unfold that race control announced shut down the race. It was announced very quickly when the swimmer was spotted great call SBI. What I feel needs some major changes is the race boats kept racing for several more laps after the announcement. What went wrong that the teams didn't stop and come off plane? How is it possible that teams don't understand come off plane and stop for further clarification. I understand SBI doesn't stop races and maybe that led to some confusion. Lets figure it out and use this as a learning lesson please.
I am assuming red flags were out around the course? The few races i was in that were stopped, the flag was the only way we knew. I remember how noisy it was in all the boats i raced and actually hearing race control on the radio was just about impossible especially the Supercat. Any idea how quickly and how many red flags were out? Curious myself now . . .

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Why couldn't the restart the race? What happens when they shut a course down for Manatees or Sea Turtles?
My thoughts on why it was not restarted - this was a very crazy occurrence and race control would have no way of knowing if its isolated to just the one nut . . . these days they seem to travel in groups. Good call to stop and get control back . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 10-03-2018 at 07:11 AM.