Building a home with a garage for a cigarette

Old 10-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Better safe than sorry
Old 10-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

My buddy got a deal on a odd lot in a very cool neighborhood. He designed the house with a pull through garage (16 X 52) and called it a firehouse design. He built the house on the sunny side of the garage wall so it was long and narrow like the garage.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...61_rect/17_zm/

House was awesome, everyone loved the design despite the monster garage.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

When I built my house 14 years ago I had a 28 Pantera and wanted to move up to a 32 AT, which I did. My 3rd car tandem garage was a standard option and almost 39' long. I could have made it bigger for $25 sq ft, but didn't think I'd need it. I can still extend it, but the cost would be at least $100 sq ft now. I kick myself for not going another 10' longer at the time. It is a contributing factor as to why I have not moved up in boat size.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Do these oversize garages impact resale of the home ? Got to believe they would only appeal to another boat owner or possibly car collector putting you in a small market segment.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Do these oversize garages impact resale of the home ? Got to believe they would only appeal to another boat owner or possibly car collector putting you in a small market segment.
Mines 60x90 and the appraisal district seems to be a big fan of its value.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:58 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They can also be used for RV storage.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a 30'x50' boat storage/shop on a separate lot next to my last home. Exterior finishes went together looked like they were built together. When I sold the house I had to split up the properties, two separate buyers. Couldn't believe it, I mean who wouldn't want a six car garage right next to their house!? I think the reality is that with these style of homes/garages you can bet on not getting your money back.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

The RV storage is a great point and for that reason I would want something with plenty of length and height - enough to clear a tall 5th wheel trailer.

Difficult to know if it would ever add value to a house. I would think that there are enough buyer's out there that are looking for houses with exactly that kind of storage and would certainly think most men dream of man caves big enough for anything and everything. From experience, I bought a house with a 30X40 detached shop with second story loft, but the heights of the door is only standard height so a little less than 7ft. If you consider the price I paid the shop was given virtually no value whatsoever. However, If I had the budget I would of paid another $50-100K for it.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:50 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
My buddy got a deal on a odd lot in a very cool neighborhood. He designed the house with a pull through garage (16 X 52) and called it a firehouse design. He built the house on the sunny side of the garage wall so it was long and narrow like the garage.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...61_rect/17_zm/

House was awesome, everyone loved the design despite the monster garage.
how long does it take to get to open water from that? Just curious really, cool house and good idea.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Around here steel buildings (Morton, etc.) that are part storage/part house are becoming more and more popular.

https://mortonbuildings.com/projects/home-cabin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.