Pirate's Cove Marina PCB destroyed >

Pirate's Cove Marina PCB destroyed

Notices

Pirate's Cove Marina PCB destroyed

Old 10-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by iamjoe
I used to work with real meteorologists, not the TV people. They live for events like Michael. They are not as much forecasters as they are students of why stuff happens. They always said "you can't learn much from a sunny day". Their focus was mostly wind-based although snow loading was a thing as well. I got to watch them really closely and I will tell you that the serious question for them is why this storm turned into something that didn't "seem" probable. I also worked with geologists that were earthquake focused and explosives people who studied what makes an explosion able to create damage. All of these guys were multiple PHDs in their fields plus mathematics/computer science. The wind people are not getting much sleep right now
that is the thing. if they (the ones on radio and tv) would just say "we are just guessing and have no real idea what it will do because it is nature" I would have more respect for them. they always talk like they know what will happen and then if it doesnt they try to spin the narrative. I learned a long time ago that Mother Nature does what she wants regardless of what we think so always be prepared for the worst. like the old saying "the problem with looking for the devil is he just may show up"
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
that is the thing. if they (the ones on radio and tv) would just say "we are just guessing and have no real idea what it will do because it is nature" I would have more respect for them. they always talk like they know what will happen and then if it doesnt they try to spin the narrative. I learned a long time ago that Mother Nature does what she wants regardless of what we think so always be prepared for the worst. like the old saying "the problem with looking for the devil is he just may show up"
yeah, the people I worked with referred to the TV and radio people as "guessers" but on the other hand I wouldn't feel great if they came on TV and said "we don't know what's going to happen, so all of you should just run! They are guessing but they're educated guess's.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

TV meteorologist ...
Old 10-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

yeah, the people I worked with referred to the TV and radio people as "guessers" but on the other hand I wouldn't feel great if they came on TV and said "we don't know what's going to happen, so all of you should just run! They are guessing but they're educated guess's.
That's the problem with ALL NEWS now a-days. Less reporting on facts, all conjecture, opinion and drama.

But weather is tricky and very much educated guess work.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The good thing is with hurricanes we get fair warning. I went out to Northridge in 1994 when that earthquake hit. Earthquakes sneak up on you. I wouldn't live out there for all the tea in China.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Registered

The good thing is with hurricanes we get fair warning. I went out to Northridge in 1994 when that earthquake hit. Earthquakes sneak up on you. I wouldn't live out there for all the tea in China.
6 to one half a dozen to the other right? We don't have "earthquake season" like the east coast has "hurricane season" or the Midwest has "tornado season". You're pretty much guaranteed to have some crappy stuff hit every year back east. Ca hasn't had a big earthquake since the 94 quake.

Last edited by thisistank; 10-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I used to work with real meteorologists, not the TV people. They live for events like Michael. They are not as much forecasters as they are students of why stuff happens. They always said "you can't learn much from a sunny day". Their focus was mostly wind-based although snow loading was a thing as well. I got to watch them really closely and I will tell you that the serious question for them is why this storm turned into something that didn't "seem" probable. I also worked with geologists that were earthquake focused and explosives people who studied what makes an explosion able to create damage. All of these guys were multiple PHDs in their fields plus mathematics/computer science. The wind people are not getting much sleep right now

You are right however, the spaghetti models are very close to predicting within a 3 mile point of impact and get extremely accurate at 1-2 days out. Just like everything else it will improve. This morning I read that the shallow waters were 3-5 degrees higher than normal and this was the big contributor to the "spool" up from cat 2 to cat 4 (damn close to cat 5)
Old 10-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Registered

I'm trying to figure out what part of Legendary this damaged area is? I'm guessing its the little side / newer building detached and back behind LuLu's? The roof and the sides of the damaged building doesn't match the actual large building. Which makes me wonder....How did the large building fare?

Old 10-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incorrect information!!!!
Legendary Marine in Panama City had minor damage. The photo in this post is not Legendary Marine. It is pirate's cove dry stack barn next door. Legendary Marine had minimal damage. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not Legendary Marine Panama City! They had very little damage. This is Pirate's Cove Barn next door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.