Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

the 29 Outlaw Baja is a Slug w single.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very close to you. I boat in the bay of fundy. Your on the right track for your price range. Prices on used boats are very high at the moment. I have a scarab 26 (26'10") with a 496 ho that does very well in the rough water and I know a guy with a Baja 272 that is similar. The Baja has more cuddy room, my cockpit seems to be a little less cramped. Don't go any smaller the 27ft or you wont be happy when it breezes up, and it does very quick around here as you probably know lol. Also mine does not stay in the water, I tow it with a 1500 silverado 5.3. It handles it quite well around town but it's a work out for it on the highways.

Last edited by chartersj; 10-23-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersj
I am very close to you. I boat in the bay of fundy. Your on the right track for your price range. Prices on used boats are very high at the moment. I have a scarab 26 (26'10") with a 496 ho that does very well in the rough water and I know a guy with a Baja 272 that is similar. The Baja has more cuddy room, my cockpit seems to be a little less cramped. Don't go any smaller the 27ft or you wont be happy when it breezes up, and it does very quick around here as you probably know lol. Also mine does not stay in the water, I tow it with a 1500 silverado 5.3. It handles it quite well around town but it's a work out for it on the highways.
Hey Charters, thanks for the information. I’m actually from the Fundy side originally, near Wolfville. I always just assumed the bay (especially in the north east portion) would be too rough, and have too aggressive a current.
Where do you launch from, and how far out have you been? Curious to know if anyone ever tries crossing, say to Chignecto area?

Cheers, and the NS members of OSO will have to link up when I finally pick up a boat.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rishi65

Hey Charters, thanks for the information. I’m actually from the Fundy side originally, near Wolfville. I always just assumed the bay (especially in the north east portion) would be too rough, and have too aggressive a current.
Where do you launch from, and how far out have you been? Curious to know if anyone ever tries crossing, say to Chignecto area?

Cheers, and the NS members of OSO will have to link up when I finally pick up a boat.
I'm on Grand Manan island. I have never been that far up the bay but I can cross to either side no problem from where I am at. The bay does get rough with all the current but I just moved up to what I have now from a 21ft and its night and day difference.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Rishi65

I’ve looked at both the Wellcraft 29’ single, and the Baja 29’ single, Ill have to check out Chaparral and Regal as well.
The Scarabs all seem to have a very narrow beam. Is this a positive for rough water?
Yes, all things being equal a narrow beam will be better for rough water. Think of the physics involved. Sharp knife cuts better than a dull knife. A sharper deadrise will also perform better in rough water. More weight helps too. There are drawbacks tho and even the best built boats will get damaged in rough water. Even overbuilt race boats frequently need fiberglass work with stringers and tabs poping loose and gimbal failure.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersj
I'm on Grand Manan island. I have never been that far up the bay but I can cross to either side no problem from where I am at. The bay does get rough with all the current but I just moved up to what I have now from a 21ft and its night and day difference.
It's really encouraging to hear that there are other offshore boaters in Nova Scotia. I've now heard from someone on the Atlantic side, and the Fundy side. I never assumed when I joined OSO that there would be membership anywhere in Eastern Canada. I really had concerns about being able to use the boat on the bay, nice to hear it's definitely doable.

Charters, I'm told that the 25 OL handles rough water even better, and I think the running length is almost identical to the 272. The OL also as a little more room in the cuddy. Unfortunately all the 25 OL's I'm seeing are most expensive than the 272's, which seem to be very plentiful.

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Yes, all things being equal a narrow beam will be better for rough water. Think of the physics involved. Sharp knife cuts better than a dull knife. A sharper deadrise will also perform better in rough water. More weight helps too. There are drawbacks tho and even the best built boats will get damaged in rough water. Even overbuilt race boats frequently need fiberglass work with stringers and tabs poping loose and gimbal failure.
That makes sense, I was looking at the Scarabs, most of which seem to be a narrower beam, but have the same deadrise (24*). That said, I hadn't really considered that the wider boat is pushing more water, even with the same deadrise angle.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

29 Outlaw single with a blown 572 would be cool.....
Old 10-23-2018, 12:14 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

ran a 26 ssi chaparral for a few years. it was a good boat with great cabin. 496 with bravo 3. the cockpit lay out was nice also.