332 boats in the classified s

Notices

332 boats in the classified s

Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

[QUOTE=Jupiter Sunsation;4658923]
Originally Posted by BUP
Alot of used boats are in need of alot work. So much of the used boat market has not been maintained and or so much mismatched part installs. More than 50 percent of the used boat market, the boats are a total CF. Most boats on Craigslist are a pile of chit. I would say 80 percent min.

/QUOTE]

One dealer at LOTO seems to be getting strong money for used I/O performance boats (yet offers mechanic positions for $12-15 an hour). Outside of that market, used I/O boats are not ideal trades/used inventory.

So where do the boats go? Sitting on lifts/sides of houses/barns left to rot? Lets say it is a 15-20 yr old Fountain/Baja/Formula, 500 hours on it, dated interior/paint but nice boat overall. Boat isn't going to get a make over, repower. Still a nice boat but if one motor gets hurt does this end up rotting under a cover?

Someone mentioned a 1970 Cuda.....while everyone oohs and ahhs over the hemi stuff or the 3.5mm convertible that sold remember they also offered a whole lot of "slant 6" models in 1970 also. Google indicates they made 48,000 1970 Cudas. How many mint ones are out there? 500? 1000? We are talking 1-2% of the total production, the rest are dead and gone or doing "Joe Dirt" tributes. Look at the 20 ft Cigs, how many made and how many really nice ones are left? Lots of "projects" out there but not too many got the dollars put into them to make them nice. They are small, single engine easy to tow/store so you would think it would be a no brainer to restore one. Now on a bigger scale, the larger boats (twin/triple engines) need even more money to redo and are more hassle to store/use. I would expect very few people will sink the money into older powerboats when there isn't a huge sale price at the end of the project.
The only reason to sink the money into it is IF you plan to then keep it and use it. If that is what you want you really can't but a new one now, they haven't been made. CC's are not for everyone and most on here that people love are very expensive blinged out ones that are hard to afford and when that 3-4 engine OB starts needing work $$$$$$$$.

That pretty much is it, but if you can't do some of the work yourself and have to pay for everything,,,,,,,well you are going to spend some big cash.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

The offshore boating community is aging out and moving to C.C, types boats, cruisers or leaving the activity.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
They are not making any more 1970 Hemi Cudas, but the relatively few that remain are highly sought after and prized by people who choose visceral over practicality. I have said since the financial crash that the production of Offshore boats may slow to a trickle, or stop completely, but the remaining Offshore boats will become the Hemi Cudas of the Muscle Car world. There will always be people who are attracted to High Performance, and thus there will always be a market for these awesome HP machines - especially as the number of good examples of offshore boats dwindles over the years. They may not be building many HP boats but attendance at Poker runs has surged over the last few years. Poker runs are the Muscle Car meets of the boating world and they show no signs of going away.
Couldn't agree more. We were just down in Lauderdale before the boat show, stopped in at Shooters for brunch. Old pretty tired 12m Fountain pulled up & it was the only boat people got up to go look at it even with the scene being completely different from what it was in years past there.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
The offshore boating community is aging out and moving to C.C, types boats, cruisers or leaving the activity.
Yep, very true.
I've seen several posts in the last few years from people selling their go fast boats. When asked on the thread "What's next?" the answer often comes back that we're changing to a different style of boat or getting out of the hobby for the moment. Reasons usually are one of three, not using the boat much, kids have grown up and aren't interested, tired of the big maintenance bills/wrenching.

On the flip side, I've seen a few (but not many) threads with newcomers and surprisingly, a couple of younger (than myself) guys. Still a lot more leaving the game than joining.

None of this is bad, it's just different and we roll with the times.

RR

Old 11-15-2018, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

We have an 8% increase since this was posted. Where can I place an order for a couple shares?
Old 11-17-2018, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96scarab
So, soon this site will be called On Shore Only?
should've been years ago since the majority do NOT boat offshore lol