Best way to support cat for transom replacement

Notices

Best way to support cat for transom replacement

Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Best way to support cat for transom replacement

It is actually on a v bottom trailer with sponsons on 6x6 across the trailer so pretty straight but might not be perfect
am i better off putting it on the sponsons directly on a leveled floor, or would it be better to have it supported under the tunnel leaving both sponsons in the air? I want to make sure to do it right so there is no torsion in the hull.
all the previous transom i did were v botton on their trailers so i did not have to plan for support...

thanks!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The glassdaves of this world must have an answer to this ? Right?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
It is actually on a v bottom trailer with sponsons on 6x6 across the trailer so pretty straight but might not be perfect
am i better off putting it on the sponsons directly on a leveled floor, or would it be better to have it supported under the tunnel leaving both sponsons in the air? I want to make sure to do it right so there is no torsion in the hull.
all the previous transom i did were v botton on their trailers so i did not have to plan for support...

thanks!
There are people qualified to answer your questions, it would help if they knew what year, make, and model. ;-)

My suggestion would be support the sponsons on a structure straight and level with each other.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

also what i think but then why they are not supported like that on a trailer? they are all supported underneath the tunnel, that's why I'm asking!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
also what i think but then why they are not supported like that on a trailer? they are all supported underneath the tunnel, that's why I'm asking!
You have a better chance of not building/fiber-glassing a twist into the boat if it is "true" when you do the work.

My Skater trails supported in the tunnel, I have made new bunks making it a drive on that you can't miss. some of the guy's have made their sponson supported boats drive on by building serious guides.
I like the idea of being able to inspect the sponsons for damage and repair same without having to lift the boat off the trailer.

I'm also self taught, you should bounce this off some of the other guys.

Last edited by Nice Pair; 11-13-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I built these thinking I could support by the strikes on the inside of the tunnel just as my trailer does. The uprights slide in and out on the bottom base / carts. I was going to use them to put the motors in the boat but seeing as it snows in Michigan and my trailer wasn’t completely finished yet so I kept it on the trailer while working on it this time around. I will use them when I go to finish the fab work then paint the trailer. Not sure if your still working on the boat.

Adjusted for 40’ classic tunnel width - should fit any cat

I don’t see why you couldn’t turn the uprights around 180* and use it on a V-Hull aswell

Last edited by Rossman; 02-21-2019 at 06:08 AM.