Notices

I/O to OB conversion project?

Old 12-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cary 29
Nice looking rig with a lot of plus sides
Like what? ..................… Fuel economy? Ease of service? Lower maintence costs? Quiet operation?

This sport is not for sissies, it's all about real men, money is no object, skinned knuckles and blood are badges of honor,
hell the louder the better!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 12-11-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

I should have kept this if I had known about Mercury’s plan to build the 400’s . Hindsight is always 20/20
Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
For a lot of people that would have to pay for the work I don’t think converting will take over.

What I don’t understand is why new performance OB’s don’t seem to sell. Both Outerlimits and AT came out with models and It doesn’t seem to have caught on.
Folks that buy Ol and AT typically don’t do their own maintenance, and the ones that do scrape their own knuckles and twist their back out in the bilge do it out of love and passion. Outboards have a lot of benefits, but not the ones that those such owners may fancy.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve had just about every performance boat out there. Did my own maintenance on every one of them even preventive maintenance. One thing in common was they all broke. From #6 drives to bravos, headers old and new the list goes on and on. There’s a reason why Mercury offers a 8 year warranty on there outboards??????????????
Old 12-13-2018, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Joetool
I’ve had just about every performance boat out there. Did my own maintenance on every one of them even preventive maintenance. One thing in common was they all broke. From #6 drives to bravos, headers old and new the list goes on and on. There’s a reason why Mercury offers a 8 year warranty on there outboards??????????????
Well said...
Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have no plans on getting rid of my Zrc anytime soon, but if I could buy another boat, it would be an outboard converted go fast cruiser like the 48' Fountain. To me that is the perfect long haul cruiser that will get you there quickly and still be a wave crusher. I would love to Island hop and and have the reliability of outboards and the redundancy of quads.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's crazy to hear everyone say "the reliability of outboards"

I've only owned outboards and all of them have blown up. 2.4 carb, 2.5xs opti, 300x, and 2.5 efi.

My next boat I wanted to go sterndrive (Single big block 24-29-ish)

Are sterndrives just as prone to problems? Seems all my sterndrive friends just go boating, where as all the outboard guys are in continual rebuild cycles.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by goinboatin

I've only owned outboards and all of them have blown up. 2.4 carb, 2.5xs opti, 300x, and 2.5 efi.

Are sterndrives just as prone to problems? Seems all my sterndrive friends just go boating, where as all the outboard guys are in continual rebuild cycles.
It all matters in the output. I have asked how well the lower units hold up on 350-400 OB's that "FLY' the boat. Not a CC that doesn't leave the water. At the same token the 550HP LS based motors seem to be running to 3000 hours. Granted they do need upper ends every 1300-1500 hours.

I do think the new OB's are more reliable but they are newer designs, it has more to do with that then where the powerhead is mounted.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by goinboatin

If you have a fresh STOCK engine you can get years and years of use out of them with proper maintenance. But very few people on this site are here for stock engine maintenance.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I have 1998 and 1999 225 hp Mercury Promaxes on my Talon. If they are properly assembled they will run for a decade or longer with no maintenance other than the lower units. I ran my Promaxes for 5 years without even changing the plugs. The Sportmaster gear cases, with Mercury's poorly manufactured gear sets, will need to be replaced within 3 to 5 years if you are surfacing the drives. I run 80mph everywhere at 6000 rpm with a lot of time spent in the air. I can't speak for anything Mercury has created recently as they are out of my price range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.