Notices

Bravo one cracked blade.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

I lost one a few different times. 2 times on the Baja outlaw- 1 knocked a good chunk out of the cav plate.
Lost a few on Cig too.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

There was a vid floating around some years back of a boat (cat?) throwing a blade while running and the GoPro picks it up perfectly as it launches skyward. Can't remember if it included a still of it or a slow motion section showing the blade taking orbit. I just remember thinking if this was a poker run I'd hate to be behind that boat and catch that blade in the teeth.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bravo Castings are porous (pretty sure I spelled that wrong). I threw a blade on my 22p Bravo prop on one of my Optimax 225s. I am running them near surfacing, so fatigue is going to happen when twisting and flexing a cast prop...…. I actually thought I had a fouled plug and ran the boat the entire weekend, only realized it was a blade when I pulled the boat out after the 4th of July holiday weekend. I only lost about 1/3rd of the blade.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by ph1971
What prop was that, Sideways? Any special circumstances or just normal use? You guys really have my attention now.
That was a box stock 28P Bravo1 with probably 100 hours on it; on a 37AT with 496HOs.
That was the second year I owned the boat. It was never a surfacing prop or abused other than a few occasional rough spots.
The other was still on the boat when I sold it, at ~500 hours.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
There was a vid floating around some years back of a boat (cat?) throwing a blade while running and the GoPro picks it up perfectly as it launches skyward. Can't remember if it included a still of it or a slow motion section showing the blade taking orbit. I just remember thinking if this was a poker run I'd hate to be behind that boat and catch that blade in the teeth.
That happened to Tyson and they caught it on video.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by low_psi
Bravo Castings are porous (pretty sure I spelled that wrong). I threw a blade on my 22p Bravo prop on one of my Optimax 225s. I am running them near surfacing, so fatigue is going to happen when twisting and flexing a cast prop...…. I actually thought I had a fouled plug and ran the boat the entire weekend, only realized it was a blade when I pulled the boat out after the 4th of July holiday weekend. I only lost about 1/3rd of the blade.
Did you check the propshaft afterwards?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Did you check the propshaft afterwards?
Yeah, surprisingly enough it was still straight. I didn't run hard that weekend.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Have you seen the finish work on new Bravo I props lately? Sucks.
Applies to all mercury props lately not sure what the problem is over there. I had a 24 Maximus and bought another one, several years apart, they were both "stock" but two completely different props. I sent back a pair of ECO Enertias, they were full of voids in the casting.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably made in CHINA
Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Probably made in CHINA
Probably would be better castings if made in China. Their foundry is in Wisconsin.

"Stainless Steel Performance

At Mercury Marine's propeller foundry in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, magic happens 24 hours a day. Through unmatched engineering, design, and innovation, molten metal is transformed into the highest-quality, best-performing, and best-selling marine propellers in the world. Our experience and expertise – along with proprietary technologies such as Flo Torq®, the X7 Alloy®, and PVS (Performance Vent System®) – give Mercury props a true competitive advantage."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.