Notices

Chart plotter programs for Ipad

Old 12-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Chart plotter programs for Ipad

Hi!

I will use a Ipad as screen for my Mobile View and chart plotter in my Phantom. Its not room for a regular chartplotter ala Merc Monitors. So I will install a power for my Ipad, and install a chart plotter program.

Can you reccommend a program to be used with a Ipad? I will mount my Ipad below the dash between the two front seats, and remove it when leaving the boat.

Thanks !

Happy New Year !!

Cheeers, Toffen
Old 01-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a look at the Navionics app. It is available for the iPhone or iPad and works very well. It uses the same maps that the chartplotters use, and you can download maps for your trip before you leave shore. The trip routing function works very well.

GF?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Freedom?
Take a look at the Navionics app. It is available for the iPhone or iPad and works very well. It uses the same maps that the chartplotters use, and you can download maps for your trip before you leave shore. The trip routing function works very well.

GF?
The Navionics+ subscription allows access to sonar charts compiled via local boaters piggybacked depth sounders and much greater detail than standard charts. They haven't let me down yet.

There's also Inavx; however, I don't have any personal experience and like Navionics it doesn't have a point of view navigation option.

Keith
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Navionics is the way to go! In fact, it could be argued that the cheap subscription is better than the charts in high end electronics, as Navionics updates every time you boot it up. I rely on it heavily navigating in the dark around the Ft Myers area. I downloaded it initially 4 years ago to use as a backup, and have been impressed.

As as a side note, you can download greater detail for the area that you boat in.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

How do you guys see your iPad? I agree the Navionics is a great package but no matter what I did I could not see the screen on the Ipad. Tried different no glare covers, things pilots said they used and no matter what it just didn't work.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are in a position that is exposed to direct sunlight, then there is no solution where an iPad can be used reliably in all sun conditions. There have been several previous threads on this.

I tried for a couple of years to use just an iPad and i absolutely LOVED the Navionics charts, but in the end i went with a garmin. I hate the garmin interface and it lacks features as compared to the ipad+Navionics solution, but at least i can reliably see my charts now.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which Navionics app you guy use?
I see there is a few apps with that name...
Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I used a tablet with Navionics for a couple years, having a real dedicated chart plotter (GO7) is night and day.So much better.