Fountain Education

Old 01-18-2019, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fountain Education

Looking into hunting for a Fountain, and have a few questions. I'm really set on a 35' Lightning, but would be open to a 38'.. don't want any bigger. Any feedback on the maintenance differences, cost to own, pros and cons, etc.. would be appreciated. Also, I'm a fresh water only guy, living in KY. I've really only got my eyes on 2001-2010 model boats, rather not be in it for over 100K, but want something nice. I'm not close to buying, just looking for info from folks who have been in the game longer than me to help narrow my search and weigh options. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:28 PM
Registered

I LOVE my 42 Fountain. Freshwater only boat for all 14 years I've owned her. Not as fast as a 35 or 38, but much more boat and a huge difference when it gets rough. I have only done annual oil and filter changes all this time on the 525s and oil on the drives. The outdrives needed the upper gimbal bearings at 350 hrs. Currently 460 hrs on virgin 525s. Flawless boat.

Buy a bigger truck.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time View Post
I LOVE my 42 Fountain. Freshwater only boat for all 14 years I've owned her. Not as fast as a 35 or 38, but much more boat and a huge difference when it gets rough. I have only done annual oil and filter changes all this time on the 525s and oil on the drives. The outdrives needed the upper gimbal bearings at 350 hrs. Currently 460 hrs on virgin 525s. Flawless boat.

Buy a bigger truck.
I love the 42's, and glad to hear you have had good luck out of yours! I live 10 minutes from the lake, and do have a highly skilled mechanic in town who can work on any powerboat out there. Never considered the ride as much, but now that you say it, 4-7 ft i'm sure is a big difference. You use a 3500 to pull i assume? Dual wheels? I appreciate your time!
Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Registered

What lake do you boat on in Kentucky. That may play a part in what kind of ride you want or need.

Mark
Old 01-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The other is what kind of feel do you want.

same power the 35 will feel like a sports car compared to the 42. Accelerate harder etc. just more sporty.

Bigger water no no matter what the 42 will crush it but what lake and really how bad does the water get. Not OSO wave heights true ones.

The other thing to think about is a LOT of 42’s are staggard motors, much easier to service.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE View Post
What lake do you boat on in Kentucky. That may play a part in what kind of ride you want or need.

Mark
I'm on Lake Cumberland. At 80 mph it's a short trip to Jamestown (state dock) or Wolf Creek Dam. With that being said, I usually don't travel that far and probably wouldn't even with a big boat capable of doing so. I know a 35' would be big enough. Just trying to get more info, thanks!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
The other is what kind of feel do you want.

same power the 35 will feel like a sports car compared to the 42. Accelerate harder etc. just more sporty.

Bigger water no no matter what the 42 will crush it but what lake and really how bad does the water get. Not OSO wave heights true ones.

The other thing to think about is a LOT of 42s are staggard motors, much easier to service.
Lake Cumberland, the waters don't really get bad here. I would say your major holidays with a few cabin cruisers and a poker run is as bad as it gets.

Other than the obvious, bigger boat costs more to build, and trailer too.. is there not much difference in cost to own or maintain? I would think a 42 is much harder on fuel than a 35 or 38.. At that point it would be a matter of choice on cuddy size I assume? And a 42 would force me to upgrade to a 3500 series truck. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Registered

I am at State Dock, have been there since 2005 and on the lake since the early 90's. As you know holiday weekends and Poker Run can get pretty snotty water wise. Other than that not all that bad really. For those times the 42 would have the advantage however for the most part you will be fine in a 35 or 38 with the nod going to the 38 for the bit of extra running surface for "those days".

Mark
Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Registered

Also for your short tow distance you will not need a dully. A decent 3/4 ton will do just fine. Might even get by with a 1/2 ton. Heck , I know a guy that once pulled a 29 Powerquest with a Toyota 4 Runner. Cracks me up seeing people towing bass boats with dullies when it is somewhat obvious it's not a work truck needed for something else.

I delivered a 37 Outerlimits from Grider Hill Marina to Dana Point CA with a 2002 2500 Duramax in 2005! Have pulled my boat, a 38 Top Gun with that same truck with no issues.

Mark
Old 01-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE View Post
Also for your short tow distance you will not need a dully. A decent 3/4 ton will do just fine. Might even get by with a 1/2 ton. Heck , I know a guy that once pulled a 29 Powerquest with a Toyota 4 Runner. Cracks me up seeing people towing bass boats with dullies when it is somewhat obvious it's not a work truck needed for something else.

I delivered a 37 Outerlimits from Grider Hill Marina to Dana Point CA with a 2002 2500 Duramax in 2005! Have pulled my boat, a 38 Top Gun with that same truck with no issues.

Mark
that is impressive! Guess i wouldn't have to upgrade trucks when the trip is 5 or 10 miles lol it seems like the 38 is perfect for a little bit of everything.. i have seen a few staggered setups on them which is more what i want. Still going to look at the 42s. I can only imagine how easily they would handle those big weekends and choppy waters.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser