Notices

True Length

Old 10-30-2002, 12:07 PM
jb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an integrated molded platform IE FOUNTAIN,(for lack of naming others, you are kidding yourself if you think thats the actual lenth of your boat. LOA(length over all)
I had a 31 scarab with a bolted on molded platform which made it 33'5"(it was 29 inches). Then the next Scarab 33 avs with a molded platform is the same length. ....But still a 31 foot boat.
a 36 outlaw is 35' somethin".. but still a true 35 somethin boat.
I dont know any manufacturer that counts a bolted on platform.
Also is a 32 Advantage different because the integrated platform is actualy part of the transom? Iwould call that a true 32.
Fountain...forget it, subtract 30 somethin inches for the platform and who knows for the beak. your 32 is really a 28 somethin.

But who cares we all knew this when we bought them right!!??!!
Old 10-30-2002, 12:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by SummerObsession
All I know is my "true length" is just over 8" .....without a beak!

j/k
Mine has a beak, and that adds a foot!

I think length that touches the water line is a good spec that would be nice to compare. If you're boat shopping, that would be helpfull. Even if it is at rest, it's at least something. If it's at speed, I want to see the guy with the tape measure on a video!!!!

Dock,
I had a 250ES, so I had a 26'9" boat that is "the same" as the 27'2" boat called the 272. So, I came from a 27' long 25' boat and own a 25' long 32' boat that sure rides better

But why must people bash a boat with a molded platform or beak or gradually sloping bow or whatever, instead of saying things like, well, that Cig sure is a hell of a 37' long boat!
Old 10-30-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

I dont know any manufacturer that counts a bolted on platform.
Velocity does on there 260 and 280 model. I really don't like that they took the 26 foot boat that they have been building for years and bolt on a swim platform and call it a 28. But they are still great boats.

And what about Pantera there 28 is much bigger than 28' but it gets put in the catagory with other 28 that are really about three feet shorter.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Baja Daze, what if you took the picture above of the Fountain and filled in the curve where the beak is? That part of the boat hardly ever touches water anyway. I understand how some people think the beak was added on but I believe it was carved out. What do you think?
Mike

I'm with you on that Mike. The curve below the concave part of the beak is about the same shape as most other boats. And with the flare from the beak, I almost never get water on deck or spray in the cockpit. I will say though that my 29 Fever looks really small next to my buddy's 31 Bullet when we're on the work racks at the marina together.

"LOA" as defined in "Ship Design and Construction" by Taggart - The extreme length of a ship measured from the foremost point of the stem to the aftermost point of the stern .

That would include molded swim platforms and beaks, but not bolt-on platforms.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

I am currently looking at a couple of 1989 36' Fevers that became 38' Fevers in '90 or '91. Same hull, beak and platform. How did they get the 36' and what is it really?
Old 10-30-2002, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know exactly what you're saying Mike. I do agree to some extent, but it would still be considered hull and not air.

I've attached a representation. A is the original, B is shown minus the carved out portion and c is a traditional hull minus the beak.

Sure, it's area that's carved out, but you lose the effective lift when crashing a wave. It would make a difference if it were there, I think. But you're right, on smooth water, the fwd 2/3 of a boat never sees water.
Attached Thumbnails True Length-untitled2.jpg  
Old 10-30-2002, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

fountain and most all other manufactures measured from the bow to the back of the transom, thats why in 89-90 with fountain there were 33, 36, 40, then in 91 the industry changed the way that they measure boats, so then fountain changed the boat models to 35,38,42 to coincide with the new measuring standards. if the swim platform is actually molded into the hull it is counted with the lenght
later
Dave
Old 10-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Baja Daze, what if you took the picture above of the Fountain and filled in the curve where the beak is? That part of the boat hardly ever touches water anyway. I understand how some people think the beak was added on but I believe it was carved out. What do you think?
Mike

Unless of course you're properly trimmed in rough water where you want the extra length. In flat water you want the least amout of wetted surface, in the rough you'll be glad you had the extra foot or two.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Caincando1

Velocity does on there 260 and 280 model. I really don't like that they took the 26 foot boat that they have been building for years and bolt on a swim platform and call it a 28. But they are still great boats.

And what about Pantera there 28 is much bigger than 28' but it gets put in the catagory with other 28 that are really about three feet shorter.
The CGS 41 actually 39 since it had no platform had a beak added so it would qualify for super V a few years ago. Also remember hearing about a fountain that had the beak cut off just before the Catalina Ski race cause the boat was 6" too long.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

Ouch!!! That's got to hurt

Quick Reply: True Length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.