Notices

True Length

Old 11-01-2002, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great discussion guys!

Too Old: I agree, it shouldn't matter as long as you know what it is that your buying...If you're okay with it, great.

But Saber 28 makes some interesting points as well. It's often difficult to compare boats and their speeds when not comparing apples to apples when the labeled lengths and the true lengths are misleading.

Additionally...Though it may only be a sticker on the side, or a way to market something based on length...wouldn't it be nice if the costs didn't reflect the label...

I would be inclined to believe that a 32' boat A and 29' Boat B, which when sitting side-by-side measure in with the same hull length, there would be a signifficant price difference.

Fever Mike: I'm curious. You mentioned a couple particular boats earlier with labeling and measured lengths not being the same, what does the APBA consider as the official length?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2002, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My baja is 28 feet on the money, with the integrated swim platform it is 30 feet on the money
1990 Baja 280 ES

Paid for 28 feet, got 30
Im not complaining, the baja line until 91 never counted swim platforms in any of their equasions, they were just there
Jason
Old 11-01-2002, 08:24 AM
Registered

"Paid for 28 feet, got 30." Did you get motors?

Couldn't resist, sorry. Don't worry I'm dealing with motor issues now also. Good luck
Old 11-01-2002, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sorry Mike. I must have remembered wrong and it was someone else that mentioned the lengths earlier...

In any event, you hit it right! That's the answer I was look for.
Thanks Mike.

My curiosity's satisfied. Apples to Apples!
Old 11-01-2002, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default panther

Originally posted by Panther

Later, I always thought that fountain changed the 40 (12 Meter) to a 42' when they added the swim platform, not when they changed the way of measuring boats???

What about the old days of measuring boats from the transom to the bow eye???? boy boats would be small!!!
Panther'

the early 89s were 12meters no swim platform somewere in the late 89 season the went with the new style with molded swim platform and called it a 40 then in 91 with measuring change
it was called a 42. i believe that the mold swim platform came about the time of a big fire at fountain and losing some molds are something like that.
Later
Dave
Old 11-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by Jayl13
My baja is 28 feet on the money, with the integrated swim platform it is 30 feet on the money
1990 Baja 280 ES

Paid for 28 feet, got 30
Im not complaining, the baja line until 91 never counted swim platforms in any of their equasions, they were just there
Jason
Hey Jay,
You bring up a good point, but first, I have to razz ya....

You actually paid for 28' and still paying for 30 But then again, we ALL are continually paying for length. (well, that sure has a double meaning LOL!)

But this could be a whole new discussion......if you factor in money, well, hell, a Cig owner pays $300k for a 38' boat, so in Baja dollars, he paid for what, a 442? So technically, a Cig owner paid for a 44'er got a 38'er And a 38 Fountain owner paid for a 42' boat and got a 35' boat. A 42 OL owner paid for damn near a 55' yacht. LOL!

My initial thought was that instead of paying for 38 and getting 35, someone bought a 280ES and paid for a 28'er and got a hell of a big 28'er. It's really not an argument, just a thought process that takes into account peoples ego.

Now, what I'm looking for is to pay for a new 28' boat and get a new 42' boat. Not even Fountain can do that!!!!

Mark
Old 11-01-2002, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally posted by 32fever
Now, what I'm looking for is to pay for a new 28' boat and get a new 42' boat. Not even Fountain can do that!!!!

Mark
Well, when you figure that one out, let me know!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:18 AM
Registered

Well Ba ha Ba Ha Ba Ha to you too Pachanga
Damn everyone on my crap list now !!!

What am I public enemy #1 or something LOL

Anyway Yes 32 Fev has brought a whole new perspective to the table now as well
From manufacturer to manufacturer you dont get the same bang for the buck !!! I agree there.

and yes we all want a sort of enlargement ray in our tool box to make things bigger by aming and pointing, turn my 280 baja into a 480 baja by the pull of a trigger would be great.
But then comes the obvious of quality.
You dont see baja custom airbrushing the boat from front to back inside and out, underneath and matching the trailer to it and all the power goodies like Outerlimits does.
Not the same boat, cause if it was, Outerlimits would be Outerbusiness!

Cig, same thing although cig has a part of the market that no one else does, and their boats have a rep and are really just built well. My baja is built well but it is what folks call "cookie cutter"
which is fine for some of us that cant afford the higher end stuff.
But for the size -- back in late 80's early 90's Baja would make BIG boats for the length.
Hell I have 2 feet of freeboard just sitting at the dock
damn fountains look like they are sinking at the dock
But then again if you buy a baja, your not buying it to break any world speed records either.
I just want to go out and have some fun and make some noise and once in a while piss a few people off at Dave and Busters cause my Shiz Nizzle is really LOUD!
Jason
Old 11-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Uncle Toys

Originally posted by Too Old

[<-----------10"----------->]
That’s why women have such bad depth perception, because all their lives they’ve been told that’s ten inchs.

Old 11-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Registered

You mean

8==========================================> ~~

Sorry could not resist

Jason

Quick Reply: True Length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.