Why choose a center console?

Notices

Why choose a center console?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Why choose a center console?

i feel like. Am gonna get bashed for that question! But hell, it is winter time so i am up for that debate!
Cc's became more popular in what, late 80's and them boomed out like 10 years ago being top selling boats in the last couple years !

besides the fact you can gather like 10 or more people in them, what are the other big advantages to them? I am still stuck with my old idea that a speedboat type of hull offers more comfort to the everyday drive! Cabin are much bigger, if you dont sleep in there it offers more storage. When it is too hot in the sun you can always hide yourself a bit. Same if it starts raining, everyone else besides the driver can hide and stay dry. Same on a windy day, or when water splashes from the wind.

i need your opinions as to why people see more pros than cons on those hull !

here we go ! I can not find the chit in the fan icon but i am ready !

Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Fun to party on, beyond that I’m as lost as you.

I don’t care how u paint them, those egg beaters are u g l y and don’t sound very good
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is that most people that can afford any kind of boat are getting older. I know I don't want to get in the bilge anymore. The egg beaters dont have any sound to them but they dont need much maintenance. I think it's a nicer way to boat even though I do miss my cat sometimes.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by antisocial
The issue is that most people that can afford any kind of boat are getting older. I know I don't want to get in the bilge anymore. The egg beaters dont have any sound to them but they dont need much maintenance. I think it's a nicer way to boat even though I do miss my cat sometimes.
i get your point on being upside down in the bilge, but lets say older people would buy speed boat with outboard engines, i still dont see why center consoles are so popular in terms of hull configuration... !!! Thanks for sharing on engines !
Old 02-11-2019, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I can see some benefits to them, but they’re missing every reason that I love the hot rod boats; the sun pad, that sound that pumps the heart, speed. I suppose when I’m at a place in life to appreciate a Subaru Outback then I’ll enjoy the CC with egg beaters, but for now it’s old school muscle for me.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

The driver enjoys the speedboat, the passengers just sit/stand and hold on. The comparison is a driver's boat vs a passenger's boat. The CC has all the lounge space, and it's a bit slower and quieter which in turn makes it more comfortable for the passengers.

If you love more hard core old school stuff then you probably always will but unless your passengers are hard core fanatics, after an hour on the water, they'll prefer the CC.

My 2 cents.
RR
Old 02-12-2019, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

First off. To me there is no right or wrong answer here. I am a fan of both and have had both...actually been back and forth with my last boat being a Sunsation Dominator with cantankerous carbed big blocks. Ruk, has a good point. While most people dont mind blasting up to 90 coming in the creek for a minute. For the most part they enjoy cruising at 50 much better. I can do that in either type boat.

Storage - My CC had a cabin so plenty of room with a pottie and some space if someone wants to get out of the weather etc. Also most CC's have archs, t-tops or Bimini tops. So the shade is available.
Fuel Consumption - My 30 foot CC with Mercury 2 strokes could get well over 2MPG(actually 3 sometimes) at cruise on regular gas. The twin carbed big blocks typically averaged me about 1MPG of high test. I know most will say if you have to worry about gas costs you should not be in the performance boat. But lets be realistic. Its not really about affording it as much as it is a reality of is it worth it to me. It gets even easier to have the CC when you have many friends with nice go fasts and can get on with them anytime.
Versatility - While I know a major portion of CC'c will never see a single fishing pole. I personally like being able to hit a local rock fish tournament. Finish a day fishing hit the local sandbar and next thing you know 8-10 people comfortable sitting hanging out on the CC. Get home spray it down with a hose and call it a day.

" I am still stuck with my old idea that a speedboat type of hull offers more comfort to the everyday drive! " - Arent most of the CC's hull basically identical with a different deck?

In the end I fault no one on either side of the fence. But judging by popularity alone it seems a lot of people get the CC thing.

John
Old 02-12-2019, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never understood them, every other person on board besides the driver is constantly getting pounded by air. Really no place to get out of the sun or wind, Other than on the new insanely expensive center consoles with huge hard tops. Very fictional for the fishing folk is the only thing I see them as useful for. Personally I don't fish. If i do it comes fried with a beer. Everyone likes different things, those who have them seem to enjoy them. just not for everyone.

Last edited by RGPIII; 02-12-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Maybe I am anti social but I don't want that many people on the boat to deal with their schedules, wants etc. If you are talking new then it is different as the new CC's are nuts for performance speed etc, but I would most likely get a OB cat if I was spending that type of money, we still like running fast, most of the time we cruise from 50-70 and hold it there for 30-60 mins. The cat would raise that.

When I look at replacing what I got in the same price range, that would mean a fishing CC and I don't fish.

As for reliability I have to say my 500's (Totally stock), have been really good. I did the top end maintenance at 300ish hours and pretty much run the motors. Close to 600 now. Fuel burn I get 1.8-2 mpg, unless I slow down to 40-45 then it SUCKS the gas. When repower comes along I most likely will go with a LS base injected motor, the ski boat/ air boat/ work boat guys are getting thousands of hours out of those units in my power range, for me to convert to OB would cost more.

Paying for glass work, setup time changing to OB etc.

That said when I look at OB sport boats (very few around) like the 33 AT I find those would better fit the way we boat. If we were still in the mid west where EVERY weekend we stayed on the boat that would be perfect, easy to tow, lots of cabin room and cockpit room, plenty to say about it.

But now really a Doug Wright cat would be the "Cats Ass" for me!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
The driver enjoys the speedboat, the passengers just sit/stand and hold on. The comparison is a driver's boat vs a passenger's boat. The CC has all the lounge space, and it's a bit slower and quieter which in turn makes it more comfortable for the passengers.
Agree 100%. But that's not the reason that I'll migrate to a CC for the next boat. The CC is more comfortable for hanging with guests, the cockpits for the go-fasts are small and cramped. I'm also done with squeezing into a bilge...done. Been there done that for 30 years. Longevity of outboards is another factor, cruising with a top on to keep out of the sun is another. I work outside pretty much 365 a year, limiting sun exposure is appreciated these days.

However, nothing will turn my head like the rumble or look of the go-fast, nothing, but for me the time has some for something different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.