Notices

Survey

Old 02-21-2019, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also in need of a surveyor in or near the Naples area. Does Ed travel?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:11 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure he is still doing pre purchase inspections. I thought he retired but I could be wrong

Added info for whomever. It is wise to get as much info on the engines / set up / engine serial numbers / drives and those serial numbers. So much mix match stuff in used boats today being sold every day.

I just looked at boat - hull 2006 - twin engines == both engines were 2002 engines and Not HO mags 496. They were 496 MAGs only with HO covers on them. Man the new buyer was shocked when I gave him all that bad news. So fact of the matter is he paid too much for his used boat. and the hour meters were showing half the hours that engine scan showed. He should of had me look at it before he bought the darn boat.

Hard pill to swallow after the fact. Hour meters shown under 400 but the engine scan showed almost 800 hours for both engines. PCM 555

Also make sure the person you are hiring knows EFI marine engines - ask them what trainin they had for EFI engines. Why because 99 % surveyors have never sat in on any OEM marine engine training. And just because they went out and bought a $600 diacom scan tool means 100 percent ZERO. I am not pointing fingers here but letting boat buyers aware that surveyors really are not trained on the engine and drive side of things. I see this all the time. Yes many can do compression tests but that is not a 100 percent either. Just saying not calling anyone out but bringing up some great points here..
Old 02-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

I never seen the hour meters match the computer. Pretty typical, personally I would rather have a very competent mechanic and fiberglass person look at the boat rather then a survey.

And run the boat, I mean RUN IT. If the owner isn't willing to hold it at WOT for a little bit then I don't want it.

Best sea trail to me is one the boat blows up while the owner is demoing it. At least then I know where I am starting! LOL