I’ve always wondered about powerboat mechanics >

I’ve always wondered about powerboat mechanics

Notices

I’ve always wondered about powerboat mechanics

Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I’ve always wondered about powerboat mechanics

Just wondering. If there’s anybody who gets the pleasure to work on some of these high end beautiful toys, how did you get to where you are? I’m currently on my way to becoming a diesel mechanic and am definitely going to be purchasing my first Baja in the first 10 years of my future career. But in order to even become a diesel mechanic I have to go to trade school (UTI). So, naturally being interested in boats, I looked up the marine side of things and nowhere have I seen a UTI grad working on Donzi’s Fountain’s etc.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

No real way i guess ! Do your training, be in the best, get hired to the first one who gives you the chance to work on boats, become one of the best again, then you can shop around a new job in the go fast company if you were not already hired in one of those in the first place!

good luck !
Old 02-26-2019, 11:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

You need to check out Kid Turbo. Diesel Is a new technology for some boats. By the time you graduate, there will be a lot more boats that are diesel.

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels
Old 02-27-2019, 12:27 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

For marine tech training there really is NO indepth single school one can go to learn the trade like there is on the auto side. The best way to learn the marine trade is hire on with a OEM boat dealer or open up your own Boat service center buying new boats that carry engine brands you want to learn thru the OEM.

With that said I would really start some sort of outboard learning on 4 strokes and the current systems in the marine market place. The industry is really starting to feel the lack of techs that want to work on boats. The old timers are stepping out and their is no new young talent to fill this void. The current marine technology has surpassed the mechanic to fix this new tech indepth. The Marine OEMs are going to be in huge trouble 7 to 10 years from now because the lack of people to fix this stuff. We talk about this among use weekly. .

The marine diesel side is on commercial, working boat applications, luxury liners, some fishing vessels, big yachts and good size cabin boats along with a few one off ocean boats.

This company below --- has been in the marine diesel side for many many years and still has not made it into the rec boats, nor ski boats, nor race boats, nor sport boats nor made into an outboard. Yanmar the same but they do make it into the marine apps I listed above.

http://www.steyr-motors.com/marine-d...ngines/marine/

Last edited by BUP; 02-27-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

For the technician, there is not much more money working on an Offshore than a "tinner". As an apprentice, the money appears favorable but the career path/ pay scale tops off very quick... add in the Snap On trucks take and you can see why the industry is always posting for techs ( good techs) - a lot are leaving.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
For the technician, there is not much more money working on an Offshore than a "tinner". As an apprentice, the money appears favorable but the career path/ pay scale tops off very quick... add in the Snap On trucks take and you can see why the industry is always posting for techs ( good techs) - a lot are leaving.
As suggested find a reputable dealer to take you on, Get your OEM training Merc and Evinrude School among others. You will work on everything, at first. The performance side of things is a niche but those who work hard and study make a great living and have fun. Like anything else in life you get out what you put in.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Probably would be better off working as a certified mechanic in a good auto dealership plus you could still enjoy boating.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Marine diesel would be a good specialty money wise. Once you get some experience, work for yourself. There seems to be a big delta between what mechanics get paid and what customers get charged. So you want to find a way to arbitrage that.

Also you need to be in Florida if you want to work on pleasure boats.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 250 Likes on 126 Posts

Agree with hogie...I was a "top paid" boat mechanic in southwest Michigan and that was 22 bucks an hour....which seems ok but if you ever want to own a cool boat instead of just working on them it aint gonna cut it lol

Also what interceptor said rang some truth as well...when I was a boat mechanic the last thing I wanted to see after getting off work was a damn boat hahah it took 5 years of being away from it before I could actually stand being on one much less enjoying it. Now as life has progressed I can work on and enjoy mine without wanting to kill someone on the other end lol

If that's your passion and what you want to do so be it but plan on moving south or maybe even west and diesel would be my recommendation...there are not a huge amount of diesel specific marine mechanics...that I have seen anyway

Good Luck!!

Stewart
Old 02-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

It probably seems awesome to work on these badass high end boats but I’m sure it’s like any mechanic work, it gets old. Worked a few summers on drag cars, like real drag cars not your grandpas double hump headed 350. That even got old and I never wanted to work on my own cars.
Having spent plenty of time in the bildge, you are bent all over compared to a car on a lift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.