Formula Discontinuing FAS3Tech Sportboat Line

Notices

Formula Discontinuing FAS3Tech Sportboat Line

Old 04-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Formula Discontinuing FAS3Tech Sportboat Line

The Formula FAS3Tech line is gone, but its performance legacy lives on in many of the company's current offerings, https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...sportboat-line.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

What will be the sportboat line? No more stepped hills?
Old 04-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

I am surprised they sold that many in the last couple years, it pretty much is unchanged since they came out in 1997.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it is a poor decision from a marketing stand point. Formula sold a LOT of cruisers because of the sport boat line. I know my Dad got sucked into looking at Formula SR1's and ended up with a PC... I know he had a mind set that the heart of that cruiser was really an SR1 and that's why he bought a Formula instead of another brand. GM went through this with Corvette too. They weren't really making money on the car anymore but someone was smart enough to keep it around because 'every Chevy has a piece of the Corvette living inside it'... Guys go into a Chevy dealer drooling over a Corvette... they may leave with a new Silverado because of it
Old 04-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Appreciate what Vette ^^^ above is saying but times have changed and continue to change.

I'm sure Formula could afford to keep the Fastech in their line up, even if it's just to remember where it all started but business is about making money. The surge in outboard sales has pushed the boat market in a different direction and they could develop an outboard version of a Fastech but the market is just too small. Maybe they'll build a CC one day.

It's dissapointing to read about but I'm not about to grieve over the end of the Fastech. It holds it's place in powerboating history but truthfully, in a couple of generations time that will all be forgotten too.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 04-04-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

This news doesn't shock me, but it's still sad for me to hear. My 2nd boat that I owned was an '89 311 SR-1, followed by a '03 353 FasTech. Me and my family and friends enjoyed countless hours on both boats and I'm hoping to make a Formula 400SS my next boat.

At least Formula Boat Company is still in business building quality boats, which says a lot when so many other boat companies went bankrupt years ago... Here's to Formula's continued success building beautiful quality boats!
Old 04-04-2019, 04:22 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I spoke with Mr Porter last year at the Miami Boat Show about the demise of go fasts. I'm not surprised that they are killing the 353 and suspect the 382 is not far behind. I asked him about a Formula CC. No plans for them either..

Its all about the cruisers and cross overs for them. I understand why they would kill the 353, what I don't understand is allowing that customer base to walk away. I would think that a CC could be a path for the Fastech customer to migrate to another Formula and that it would be fairly easy to build a CC off of the 353. It should do quite well for Formula. Id certainly be interested.

Too bad it's not going to happen.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Very easy, if the Fastech line was selling and profitable Formula would keep the line. Nostalgia is not a reason to operate in the red, the responsibility of the companies leaders is to make the right decisions for the future. This is a big company and many people depend on the Porter's, honestly I'm surprised it took this long. The mess at GM in Lordstown could have had a different outcome if the decision makers were more pro-active or able to be pro- active, like Formula's family.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Guess I own a collectors item now.....
Old 04-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It doesn't sound like they are destroying the molds. They are just mothballing them. If you throw enough money at the Porter family, I am sure they will build you one; and they know better than to cut them up and/or store them outside/improperly like other manufacturers have done in the past. If there are no individuals ordering boats from dealers from Formula, and there are no dealers ordering them to keep them in stock and/or on floorplan; then it's the right decision to put the line aside and focus on what is making money. Notice the wording they used: "production". You can still buy just about anything "custom".

Oddly, Cigarette is probably the closest thing to a "production" offshore boat company right now as there are actually dealers ordering them for stock (albeit likely not on a floorplan). If you throw enough money at Skip, I'm sure you could still have a new Gladiator as well.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-04-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.