Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Naturally aspirated, HP’s per Cu. In.??? >

Naturally aspirated, HP’s per Cu. In.???

Notices

Naturally aspirated, HP’s per Cu. In.???

Old 04-16-2019, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 498 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Yes ,,, lived it hel late 70's vettes have less HP then most motorcycles do now. But now they are doing way better. The HP and drive ability are something now a days. WHo even thinks about changing plugs, worried that they car will start in the cold, etc.
Haha so true!
I can't even remember the last time I pumped the pedal (non race car) prior to turning the ignition in the cold
Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

No doubt that technology has come to the rescue.

I had muscle cars in the 70’s/80’s and when the EPA put the screws to them I thought it was over.

When I sold my 440 six pack Super Bee I had no idea we’d now be able to buy something faster and......, has AC, power seats, cruise, gets 30 mpg etc.

After owning a deisel VW and reading about all the hybrids I wonder about the gas motors which no one is covering.

There is now an engine in production with variable compression ratio.

One of the car mags does an annual contest called Engine Masters that is one of my favorite reads.
They establish a base line and let the builders go.

What some of these guys come up with is amazing.

I am a huge fan of turbos but still want to see what you can come up with w/o it.

One of my hero’s, Smokey Yunick used to come up w/**** that just made people scratch their head.

I just went through the Garlits museum too and to see that progression in performance is amazing.

I remember building my 440 Chrysler and reading that the wrist pins were
offset in the pistons to reduce noise but increased friction/reduced power.
Direct Connection said to swap them from side to side, which I did.

W/all those tricks we guessed power at 500 from 440 Cu ins or 1.14 per 🤓

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 04-16-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Ain't it cool!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I race a Chev Cavalier in Chump Car endurance series with a couple friends
2.4L (145ish cuin) Ecotec naturally aspirated, stock internals, cold air intake added makes 160 at the wheels with a tune. No idea what the parasitic loss would be
It came out of a scrap car with who knows how many miles on it, and we have beaten the daylights (usually 7 or 8 hour races x2 in a weekend) out it for one or two race weekends a year for 5 years, no issues whatsoever
Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
No doubt that technology has come to the rescue.

I had muscle cars in the 70’s/80’s and when the EPA put the screws to them I thought it was over.

When I sold my 440 six pack Super Bee I had no idea we’d now be able to buy something faster and......, has AC, power seats, cruise, gets 30 mpg etc.

After owning a deisel VW and reading about all the hybrids I wonder about the gas motors which no one is covering.

There is now an engine in production with variable compression ratio.

One of the car mags does an annual contest called Engine Masters that is one of my favorite reads.
They establish a base line and let the builders go.

What some of these guys come up with is amazing.

I am a huge fan of turbos but still want to see what you can come up with w/o it.

One of my hero’s, Smokey Yunick used to come up w/**** that just made people scratch their head.

I just went through the Garlits museum too and to see that progression in performance is amazing.

I remember building my 440 Chrysler and reading that the wrist pins were
offset in the pistons to reduce noise but increased friction/reduced power.
Direct Connection said to swap them from side to side, which I did.

W/all those tricks we guessed power at 500 from 440 Cu ins or 1.14 per 🤓
I was fortunate enough to get a ride in a Hellcat Charger around Calabogie race track, it sold me on the ability of production cars to impress.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the Aston Martin is NA. Design team led by a Formula 1 engineer, so that's where the tech is coming from. Ten years ago Formula 1 used a 2.4L NA V8 that made 750 HP @ 18,000 RPM. That's about 5 HP/CID, but let's not get into that.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Interesting.

And yeah, F-1 is in another world.
Too bad they’re freagin hybrids now.

Originally Posted by tomcat
Yes, the Aston Martin is NA. Design team led by a Formula 1 engineer, so that's where the tech is coming from. Ten years ago Formula 1 used a 2.4L NA V8 that made 750 HP @ 18,000 RPM. That's about 5 HP/CID, but let's not get into that.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I thought the first time a car company did 1HP /cu was the injected 283 vette engine in 1957???
Nope, Chrysler did it in 1956 with the 354 Hemi (355 HP) in the 300B. Chevy's 283 did it in 1957.

Last edited by TomZ; 04-27-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by resurrected
I was fortunate enough to get a ride in a Hellcat Charger around Calabogie race track, it sold me on the ability of production cars to impress.
I have a Challenger Hellcat... Greatest selling point... it'll smoke the tires on the interstate at 70 MPH, but it can be docile enough to be used as a daily driver. You couldn't have this kind of versatility back in the Muscle Car heyday. Cars had a 90-day warranty; God help you if you blew up something at the track. So long as I do not mod the car, full warranty for 5 years/50,000 miles... and they encourage owners to beat on it at the track!

It's great to live in the future!
Old 04-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TomZ
I have a Challenger Hellcat... Greatest selling point... it'll smoke the tires on the interstate at 70 MPH, but it can be docile enough to be used as a daily driver. You couldn't have this kind of versatility back in the Muscle Car heyday. Cars had a 90-day warranty; God help you if you blew up something at the track. So long as I do not mod the car, full warranty for 5 years/50,000 miles... and they encourage owners to beat on it at the track!

It's great to live in the future!
I have never wanted a street car until the Hellcat but if I had the opportunity to drive a Hellcat on the street I would send my drivers license to the cops prior to getting in it, I have zero self control. if it wants to go I encourage it to do so!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.