Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

So whats the platform of this new engine ?? 8.2 502 ... I dig Whipples
Old 05-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
Aint that a kick right between the wheels.....Mercury strikes again.

Our boat ran pretty good with the 625 Ilmor power; when we wounded one I had them freshened and breathed on Alexi @ by BoostPower. Then we had small issues with the drives (Bravo) - nothing catastrophic but now it's a trust issue - so, since we really like the boat, we decided to re-power and add amenities. We use her like a "cruiser with a little bark" and decided the "musts" included reliability and local warranty & serviceability. We originally intended to do Merc 600s with a Whipple upgrade and M6 drives. We found out we couldn't get the 6 with the 600s. Merc was discontinuing the 700 so we pulled the trigger on 860s because they were the "smallest" power available with the M6.

I'd like to think we'd make the same decision now because we have a very sanitary engine bay and blower belt dust is a PITA...but it would've been nice to have had the option to save some $$'s and Whipple the 700s later.

I'll post up a real world review on the 860s when we get her back from surgery; target date was "before it gets warm here in MI" so based on the current weather we're experiencing I figure we don't need her home until sometime in July ( we had a foot of snow a couple weeks ago and had flurries again this morning lol ).

cheers

d
What kind of power did Alexi get you when he upgraded your Ilmors? Happy with the results? What boat are the 860's going in to?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I worry about the 860 in anything heavy. The 42 Tiger "Hall's A$$" has been all over Instagram screaming at 6k RPM's and 87 MPH. That sucks! It sounds incredible then you see the speed. I love the sound of RPM, but if I want to take a nice cruise at 70MPH, I don't want to hear 5000RPM.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
What kind of power did Alexi get you when he upgraded your Ilmors? Happy with the results? What boat are the 860's going in to?
I'd have to dig up the info, but I believe they were around 780 @ 6100 on the dyno.

It would have been easy to step them up over 800 hp, but we put them in the boat set up at 725 @ 6100 because we can't always get premium fuel and we aren't looking for every last mph. We literally use the boat like a motorhome; we've got more cup holders than a minivan and a couple years ago we had 14 of us in the boat and ran mid 70s from Long Beach to Catalina Island.

Yes, we're very happy with everything Alexi has done for us, I can't say enough good about BoostPower. We also have a 24 Schiada with a 600 cid compound blower motor of his. That motor is nothing short of amazing; pulls like a freight train with excellent dock manners. The only reason we went Merc instead of Boostpower with the re-power on our big boat was I wanted the 6 drive, fly by wire, and local service - we're in MI and Alexi is on the other coast.

The 860s replaced the Ilmors in a 43 Schiada. We sent her back to Lee at Schiada for a complete refit / update ; new power, drives, electronics, pump out head, A/C, etc. There is nothing "wrong" with the Ilmor's - Alexi has them for sale - but we wanted the big drives and all the cool new electronic stuff.

The boat ran very well with the Ilmors which were also rpm motors, the 860s should be more of a good thing without the blower belt dust. She's a big 43 (9'6" beam, 12' of cockpit, and tall) but she's also light for a 43; she won't win many drag races, but she also won't be a slouch & if we want a hot rod we've got the 24.

cheers

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.