Notices

Great Boat Debate

Old 04-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jadento
Thats an easy one...Cost and time! Picking up the cost of a child cuts into discretionary funds for a lot of people. Not to mention soaks up a lot your time...ah lastly your energy. I have been in and out of owning a boat because of children. Fortunately I am well past daycare years, but now we have Sports to pay for and attend. So again, time and money.

As far as the great boat debate. My opinion is there is no perfect boat. We all need at least 2, probably 3. I have had all kinds(except sail). Currently I have a 25' bow rider for the river that gets my kids out on the water. But I am fortunate to be very good at taking advantage of OPB. I have plenty of friends with different kinds of boats. That way I can enjoy all types(except sail).

John
I disagree. One doesn't have less time just because they have a baby. Some just choose to spend said time differently due to that baby. It didn't stop my parents and it didn't stop us. We didn't go to the lake any less after having kids than we did before. Every single weekend like always. Nothing changed. It's a mindset, nothing more.

I get humored by the statement from some people that say they have a rule in their house about only paying cash for toys. We have a rule in our house that says never sell toys due to having babies.

Buck
Old 04-30-2019, 04:56 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

1st child disease is alot tougher for some than others.

Edit in: While I'm on this subject, please consider getting your children involved in swimming classes as early as you can. This is not only to help your child, or their friends, but also to help the elders.

Last edited by SB; 04-30-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:07 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB

Edit in: While I'm on this subject, please consider getting your children involved in swimming classes as early as you can. This is not only to help your child, or their friends, but also to help the elders.
Best time you can spend with your youngster.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I think boating style and where people live dictates what they need in a boat.

Go fast works for us. We have two young ones and with their sports, etc we are mostly day boating, doing lunch and anchoring out for a couple hours. A boat with a "1" on the side looks good doing what we do and makes me happy. When we do go somewhere and overnight we eat at the marina bar or a local restaurant so no need for refrigerators, microwave, trash compactors, blenders, toasters, rice cookers or any of that other ****.

PS - my kids were on our boat early. One at 9 days and one at 10 days old and have been jumping off the swim platform and bow since they could walk (literally). The earlier they swim the more you will be able to relax
Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by SB

Children do make a difference.
At my ripe old age, I've become a father, we have a great little 2 year old. Mum hates boats, partly due to the unrelenting heat over here and partly due to a couple of culture things, spending a lot of money on one and Thais also prefer to avoid direct sun if possible. She's been out a few times on my previous boat (Fountain CC) but has never even seen my current Donzi. This attitude will no doubt be passed down to our naive daughter.

My Donzi is for sale but may never sell due to the market for boats here. If it sells, I may buy a 'filler' for a few years to get me on the water occasionally while I wait to see how the daughter grows up. Then I will make a decision what to buy, a boat for the daughter and I, a big cruiser for the family or just a selfish go fast boat for me!

It's all up in the air at the moment, anything's possible but there will be a boat somewhere in the mix.

SB, 100% correct about swimming, mine is learning now in the pool at home and loves it!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 04-30-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

We boat SF Bay all the time including this coming weekend, wind permitting. We don't overnight, obviously, in our 30 Skater. Hope to meet some of you locals sometime.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
We boat SF Bay all the time including this coming weekend, wind permitting. We don't overnight, obviously, in our 30 Skater. Hope to meet some of you locals sometime.
Do you go the pier 39?
Sams?
Angle Island?
or Treasure Island?

Never seen many fast boats out here, but would like too!
Old 05-01-2019, 06:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Life would be pretty boring if all boats, cars, etc. were all the same. I had a lot of great times boating with family and friends. I can't really say that it was due to any particular boat that I owned that made those times great.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cyrus77
Do you go the pier 39?
Sams?
Angle Island?
or Treasure Island?

Never seen many fast boats out here, but would like too!
We live in Benicia & usually launch here. Sam's is ok but not into the look at me crowd. We love Travis marina bar, Quinns lighthouse or dock at South Beach harbor & walk around. I will message you my #, good chance we are meeting friends in the Bay this weekend to watch the fast sailboats. Our boat isn't that fast, just lil whackers clamped on the back, but we LOVE it.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Blow boats are fun when the wind is blowing

Kids are expensive and time consuming, average cost is $200K before college. If you have kids and don't miss a beat boating, then good for you, but chances are your not doing a very good job being a father. Nice boats are a commitment unless you have deep pockets, you either neglect the boat or you neglect the kid and that's why people sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.