Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
which engine and why?  Fords new or old diesel? >

which engine and why? Fords new or old diesel?

Notices
View Poll Results: If you were going to purchase a 2003 F-350 Dually, which engine would you pick?
Ford 6.0 L Power Stroke Diesel
25.00%
Ford 7.3 L Power stroke Diesel
75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

which engine and why? Fords new or old diesel?

Old 11-01-2002, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Do I get rid of the trans am that I built for the truck
or wait?
Damn it I hate not being rich LOL
Jason
Old 11-01-2002, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, if I had to choose between one of the other, It would be the truck for sure. But that's just me. Sports cars are cool and all, but nothing beats a truck for comfort and usefullness...Mileage is the only difference. But hell, you have to pay to play!

But I must say, that's a hell of a nice TA you have...I've seen the pics on here before!
Old 11-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Registered

Thanks bro
Yeah she will hit high 11's and then the track officials come up and say ahhhh yeah well sir, I think it is time that you leave or watch cause you cant race here anymore.
No cage, no fire suit, no fire extinguisher, no sub frame connectors ect.
The car is a very fast street car and nothing more.
believe it or not, 2.73's in stock 10 bolt GM rear and no nitrous, car does 11.9X in right temp range (little cool out)
and gets 26 mpg on highway.
I said to myself a long time ago if I ever were to sell it, I would never sell it to anyone under the age of 21 cause I dont want some Irate parent in my face after their kid killed themself and wrapped the car around a pole 3 times and had their head lodged in their own ass while inverted.
No way dude, car is just downright sick fast (remember built a fast street car not a race car for the guys that are probably going to open me up with a can opener here )
Jason
Old 11-01-2002, 02:27 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Jayl13
their head lodged in their own ass while inverted.

thats how those ricers drive anyways
isn't it?

BTW like most everyone said let the now motor/trans combe
prove itself

Russ
Old 11-01-2002, 02:29 PM
Registered

well as of now the 7.3 is killing the 6.0
What about the banks kits and chips and stuff
Dont they make a chip for the PSD 7.3 that adds some HP and TQ numbers to this?
How you guys manage trying to find a gas station that has diesel also?
I dont know of any around me at all. Just gas
Jason
Old 11-01-2002, 03:32 PM
Registered

I have a 1995 PSD Crew-Cab Dually it has 204,000 miles on it, pulls a 1985 40' Excalibur Hawk and trailer (heavy pig) has the original trans in it....still drives and looks great...it will pull that heavy pig 70mph in overdrive....it has a 4:10 gear...I wouldn't trade it for any other....I don't even need a chip added to it, I feel it has enough power as it is....never have had a problem finding fuel stations, you can always use the truck stops....Fred.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:23 AM
Registered

Well I went to the ford dealer last night and looked at a 2003 F350 PSD 7.3 FX4 sport XLT (jesus can the title of this freaking thing get any longer?)
I fell in love with it
Did not drive it yet but I think it is the end of the line for my trans am my friends
I dont really drive it anymore, it just sits in the garage collecting dust .
I am really interested in the 6.0 from talking to my sales dude, he said that the 6.0 is noticeably faster, more powerful and more UMPH behind each pedal press.
The 5 speed automatic transmission seems to be even more of a bonus when you figure you can get 4.10's in the rear and still hit about 20 MPG burb driving.
The 4 captains chairs are a real bonus and the moon roof is a total plus as well.
Problem is I get bored with things sort of fast so I end up switching up all the time for things.
Now the sticker of the one I saw last night was 42800
With incentives and rebates I could get 38500 or so.
(that is with me not chewing his ass down more)
I like the FX4 with the skid plates and things but the rancho shocks always ring that bell that says yeah these will blow in 1 yr
and have to be replaced.
(been into lifted trucks for years and rancho shocks and all the others with the rubber colored boots retain water and rust out and blow out in about a year)
All in all I fell in love with this sport. It is just a mean ass piece of machinery but I think im going to wait until Spring, sell my Trans am (over 21 yrs old only!)
and then Trade my pickup in on one and then that will be that.
This one last night was incredible, Im sitting here with the brochure next to me drooling on the cover they have the same one in blue (xlt sport)
Oh man what an amazing truck
Ford is finally getting around to making a truck like a mercedes
Got to love heated seats too!
Jason
Old 11-10-2002, 12:17 PM
russ7r

Jay, I bought a new 03 F350 Lariat 7.3 Crew Cab (Full 4 Door) Short box FX4 last month. I put a 4in Rancho lift, duel front shocks and 35" tires on a set of chrome Atlas AR rims. Before I put on the lift and tires I was up to 17.7 mpg on the hwy. This was with only 1500 miles on it. Now I have 3000 miles on it with the lift, still not broke in I get 16 on the hwy.
My girlfriend likes the heated seats.
My friend has an 02 F350 with the 7.3 and put the chip and 4" exhaust on and it has more power than you could ever need. I didnt want to wait until the 6.0 came out, it is hard to find 7.3 around here, they say the 6.0 will be out in Jan....