Notices

Anyone use PDA's?...

Old 11-01-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coddigtion,

I'm an old-timer who relinquished the reins of bleeding-edge technology ten years ago. It was fun though.....

Today I'm using a couple HP C240 clunkers to run engineering software. We're writing our own code though, so I hope to be rid of them after the first of the year.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Coddigtion

Frequency,

I wish that I could use old technology, aka not dealing with the problems of bleeding-edge, more, but implementing the new stuff is what pays the bills for me.

The customer here has an in house code base, but their software is bloated and the code is not tight at all. We are having problems running the code at the speeds required even with these machines, I had one of my guys rewirte a Data Access object and the code went from 3400 lines for this one module down to 850 lines, same function and a 30% increase in speed.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Moon_nites

Audacity:

I have the HP Jornada Pocket PC. Its windows based so learning it was a breeze. It syncs everytime I charge it with the USB cradle. It has Excell on it and I use it for take offs, Im in construction. It has Word which I havnt found a use for yet. I use the calendar to keep my job schedual which changes all day. The contact database is easy to use and I use it everyday. It has Internet Explorer on it with a little program that syncs a few news web site pages everyday that I browse when waiting on someone during the day.

The main things I use everyday are the Tasks, Contacts, Excell, Notes, and Calendar. Its got Windows Media Player and lots of other things I dont use but are fun to play with when you get bored.

Couldnt live without it now,

I agree with rjcardinal 100%! Plus these days with all the passwords you need something to keep track of them!

Old 11-01-2002, 01:09 PM
outlawntexas

I've had mine a year. Don't leave home without it. If only they float. Lost one in July...

Old 11-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know what you mean....every time i mess up a cell phone i'm F'ed!!...we have a few back ups so WHEN (o-I WILL) drop this thing in the water it no a HUGE loss!
Old 11-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Registered

Silly me.....and here I thought PDA's were Public Displays of Affection which I wholeheartedly endorse as often as possible
Old 11-01-2002, 03:56 PM
Registered

I have an HP Jornada. I love it.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:06 AM
Registered

We have the Palm V - load the PhotoSuite software, it's a great way to show off pics of the boat, not to mention all the other stuff it does. It was a pain to load all of the info initially, but once it's there and you back it up on your PC, it's great!
Old 11-02-2002, 08:10 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gotta have one

I cannot figure out how I ran my life before not having one.
had a Cell phone, and a pager. Then a hand written note book.

Last Christmass I went and bought the new Samsung I-300 PDA Phone.
I love it.
Everything I need is at my finger tips.

Now with Zoom's post I am on the hunt for a photo program for it. Would love to be able ot have pics on it.
It is a color screen so now I am leaving work and going shopping
The one and only thing I do not like about it is it is very difficult if not impossible to read it in direct sunlight--boating--
I just hit the * button and tell it to call the # I want.
Still waiting for the cable to connect to the laptop to sign on remotely
Old 11-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Palm. PDA use takes a while to get comfortable with I think. Once you get used to it you will feel lost without it. Only thing I do not like about link with Microsoft Office is that catagories are not carried over. If you do not use catagories then it is no big deal. Hav eonly used Palm so I have no expierance with other brands.