Notices

Chris Cat Owners......

Old 11-01-2002, 11:27 AM
ShipWrecked

37 Chris Cat? Running Plug? Only 1? A picture of that would really be cool. Does it basically look just like a stretched 30? What new and improved ideas went into the 37?

Old 11-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was that the 37 that ran under the Maxon name? I'm not too sure if it is still at Kurts.

Didn't Timmy C sell about 7 37s under the Maxon label?
Old 11-01-2002, 11:56 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Shipwrecked:

The 37 was supposed to run only a few times as a test cell to validate the design before a mold was made. However, as was so typical of Chris Craft in those days, the boat wound up being raced by Tim Ciasulli and Harry Wellman in 1985, in spite of the fact that it had no business on a race course. In its first race it led all other open boats for the first lap....then broke down. It was built lightly and not of Marine grade materials.....yet it still exists today as a pleasure boat.....kudos to master craftsman, Ken Adams.....a true genius even with exterior plywood.

It is not a "stretched 30".....in that it sports a single step and different aerodynamics. However, it was also not a match for the later Conquest hulls, either, in that it is more "boxy" and not quite as fast. The hull also had too much forward lift and would need slight modifications before a mold was made. It would have made a heck of a boat....But sadly CC was getting out of cats and racing as it hit the water.

T2x
Old 11-01-2002, 12:02 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Ron:

no, no ,no , no...................The "Maxons" were 30 foot Chris cats with five foot "beaks" added on to the pickle forks (to make them/it legal for open class).....I don't know how many of these Timmy made, but I only know of one.

This/these were NOT the 37 Chris Cat........

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-01-2002 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the 37 in Clear Lake . Scott had just got through putting it on a trailer when I was pulling up to take mine out of the water. It was a while back though.

It was a good looking ride! One big SON OF A B***H!!

Nice paint and big motors!!
Old 11-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

T2X,
Why did the Maxon Cat have no business being on the race course? Was it a design problem or a construction problem-you eluded to the boat being built with inferior products (non marine plywood) is this why? Not trying to start any-crap, just trying to learn.
Thanks!
Bob G.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:40 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

The 37 Chris Cat....not the Maxon Cat......was a PLUG....intended to have a mold made from it after a few test runs....It was never meant to race or even exist after the mold was made....Normally a plug was all but destroyed as the mold was pulled.

In fact the deck was not the intended design shape but merely a covering to allow for the testing.

This whole Maxon reference is confusing.................

T2x
Old 11-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Cat Girl

Default Triple Engine Cat

If you're in the market for a triple engine rough water cat, check out our 30' AeroTek in the classifieds under "MISC CATS". I know there's been a lot of AeroTek bashing on this board but those comments are about incidents several years after our 1989 boat was made and I believe they're about V-bottoms, not Cats.

It's great in rough water, I've personally slept in the cabin running 70 mph thru storms (and I mean slept, not passed out!). The boat has been completely rerigged, has a new floor, new interior, new paint, etc. We're selling it because we got a 28' Skater. The Aerotek is a party boat while the Skater is a go-fast, no frills boat.
Attached Thumbnails Chris Cat Owners......-aerojump-sm2.jpg  

Old 11-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chris Cat

Wally,
I own a 1985 30' Chris Cat, and I like it a lot, The only place that I would go from here would be a Skater. The Skaters are a bit out of my budget, so this makes me like my CC even more.

It is my understanding from reading some of old posts, that the Chris Cat ran better with inboards (due to wider sponsons) and the Shadow Cat ran better with outboards (due to more narrow sponsons),

There arent many Chris Cats out there because thay did not make that many. Is the Chris Cat a boat that you are seriously seeking or did you just happen to run across this one. Ther is also a yellow one in the yacht trader, with a radar arch.

Is this the boat you are looking at?
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2002, 06:16 PM
skaterize

I want to know if cat girl is married ? if you are, he is one lucky man, Craig

Quick Reply: Chris Cat Owners......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.