Power steering problem 525efi bravo 3xr drive >

Power steering problem 525efi bravo 3xr drive

Notices

Power steering problem 525efi bravo 3xr drive

Old 05-07-2019, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering problem 525efi bravo 3xr drive

Hello, I just purchased a Cobalt 272 with the 525efi and B3xr drive. Love the boat! I am having problem with the power steering. It is very tight and lurches in turning the wheel. Squeals when you turn to the locks.
Boat has a 525efi w B3xr Drive with external steering ram. Reservoir is full of fluid. Any ideas?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:35 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like you may not have enough tension on the drive belt, or there may be some fluid leaking on to the belt allowing it to slip
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

As mentioned, check belt tension and grip.

The way you bleed a hydraulic steering system is by turning it back and forth lock to lock a whole bunch of times. There is a chance you have some air in the system perhaps from maintenance before you bought it. A little bit of squeal at the locks is normal.

If it is easier to turn once you have some more RPM, (1000-1500) as opposed to idle, it may just be time to replace the pump.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:11 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

couple of things here

Bravo 3 is only rated for 65 mph apps and I am sure with a 525 hp you are close to that speed if not a tad more ?

You prob have cable steering most likely. Im 95 % sure you do. = a 100 % rec boat and Bravo 3 most likely cable steering in 99 percent of those apps. But you do have a 525 hp and when boats see 70 mph ---- Hydro steering is highly recommended, But again Bravo 3 is only rated for 65 mph apps.

The 525 uses a serpentine belt so possible might not be loose but surely worth a check and the condition of the belt along with all the pulley rotations. Spin the pulleys by hand but first remove the belt. A 2 min job here. then spin all pulleys by hand to see if anything stands out with them.

Next check the condition of power steering fluid and its color along with the level -- actually do this first and also when running the boat --- stop and check to see how hot the steering fluid is and if it is badly foamed up ?? The bravo 3 puts a lot of stress on the power steering and of course heat. Make sure your power steering cooler is in good shape as well.

My guess is your power steering pump is going bad and or issues with the steering actuator. Also check at the bottom of power steering reservoir for trash.

Last edited by BUP; 05-09-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:26 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

I'm guessing you have an add on single ram hydraulic system. What you are describing happens a lot with add on systems, especially at idle.
I had an add on system on my 28 Pantera. The harder you try to turn, the stiffer and more jerky the wheel gets.
What I found worked was to bump the drive to neutral while turning. This would increase rpms and fluid flow and allow you turn faster and smoother.

When you say reservoir is full, do you have an external aftermarket reservoir or are you talking about the one on the PS pump??
Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 AM
BUP
Banned

IMO actually hard to make make out what he has - a external ram ? who s ram and do you have full hydro steering from helm to the ram ? He just mentioned power steering so IMO more info is needed to what exactly the application is.. Always hard to guess what boaters have when the descriptions never go into full details to take out guess work. Keep in mind guys when you post please go into into details what and all your set ups are. .
Old 05-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 754 Likes on 406 Posts

I highly doubt in a Cobalt it is full hydraulic to the helm. Most likely just the hydraulic add-on so still cable from transom to helm.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 05-09-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: my bad
Old 05-09-2019, 12:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I highly doubt in a Cobalt it is full hydraulic to the helm. Most likely just the hydraulic add-on so still cable from transom to helm.
Said the same in post # 4
Old 05-13-2019, 03:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for advice. Pushing 68-69mph on gps. Boat has cable and imco single external ram. After additional dd determined that power steering pump is bad and have ordered replacement.