Notices

Heater for bilge...

Old 11-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to put a 100watt trouble light under the hatch and it would keep it 10 degrees warmer than the outside air. If you are worried about the bulb burning out, put a second one in there on a photocell. If you want to check temp, get one of those Radio Shack dual units and put the outside probe in the under the hatch and leave the main unit outside of the boat so you can look at the temp. If you leave your bilge plug out, you can look in and see if the light is on.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree,,, 100 watt light bulb !!!!!
Old 11-03-2002, 11:52 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a magnetic oil pan heater 200watt brings oil up to operating
temp easily keep engine compartment above freezing
and its great for oil changes makes it easy to pump out the oil
Old 11-04-2002, 08:31 AM
Registered

Power failure? Have a back up plan.This has happened more than once.I have replaced 3 engines over the years when the owners didn't winterize and had a power failure.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:04 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Default Thanks for the replies...

I used one of those oil-filled radiant heaters - set it on low (600W) with the T-stat on high so it would not cycle on and off. Worked like a charm - engine compartment was a toasty 70* when I checked on it the next morning. Ambient temp was about 28*, probably was still above freezing inside the garage, but why take the chance? Backup plan if we have a power failure would be a kerosene heater.

BTW - I am planning to winterize, but I was running short on time this weekend. Besides, still might have a chance to take it out for some prop testing before the really cold stuff hits. Temps are forcast to be in the 60's this weekend.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:29 AM
RickerTX

Yep, I have used two drop lights in the engine compartment for years and it works here in Texas. My backup plan in case of power failure is a kerosene heater for the short term or tow it to a heated shop not far from me until the power is restored.

I never winterize. It just doesn't get cold long enough here in Texas to make the boat not useable all that time. My .02

Old 10-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Heater for bilge...

So guys,

What is the final recommendation as far as heaters ( not lightbulbs) for the bilge? Is it safe to use a ceramic heater that you can buy from target as long as it doesn't have a thermostat that cycles on and off? If it is left on constantly then there is no chance fumes in the bilge could start a fire? I really don't want to spend $400.00 for a boatsafe heater if I really don't have to. Please Advise.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drop light....
Old 10-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boatsafe heaters have sealed spark proof switches. The others DO NOT . These can , and usually do , create a tiny spark as the switch opens and closes with the cycling of the heater. Light bulbs left on have no switches to spark. If I wanted to "cheap out" , I'd go with the light bulbs...less chance of a major problem
Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of light bulbs? Infared heater bulbs? or Commericail 500 watt bulb?
Whats the word?

Quick Reply: Heater for bilge...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.