Notices

Key west worlds this year

Old 05-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My neighbors feel different .as do most local officials.
The $$$ used to stay here .not so much anymore.
The work force benefits as hotels and restaurants stay busy.
'
The Bars ? they make $$$ all week every week regardless of events.

Everyone has an opinion .youres is valid as well .
Old 05-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by klaatutooyou
'

My opinion is based on nothing more—or less—than Monroe TDC numbers. Those numbers have been widely reported. They're not my own.

Now, if what you're saying is the races being in town don't amount to significant tangible benefits for Key West businesses overall, that's something I can't speak to I wouldn't presume to. I would find it incredibly hard to believe, however, given what just my co-publisher and I spend to be there between food, lodging and airfare (yes, that does not exactly stay in Key West but there are ancillary benefits of having full flights arriving at your airport) for the better part of a week.

But I have no doubt, as in zero that there are many people in Key West who would just as soon see the races go away. With any major event that takes over a small city, that's going to be the case. You will never make everyone happy, especially if you try to.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 05-25-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

It is in fact the biggest revenue earner for fhe city! They have never despuited that
Old 05-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by klaatutooyou
'

So much of a tourist towns economy revolves around low paying service industry jobs.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Registered

TRying to explain the kw dynamics to you would be like asking you too explain how Pelosi keeps getting re elected .

Its a small town .the financially equality continues to disappear .elected represenatives put unneccesary rules on us

The workers make less ,while the big $$$ goes back to where they hail from.

I know what does that have to do with offshore ?
Like I said earlier in the 90,s the $$$ stayed here .
The the tourists came to watch races and spend LOTS of $$$ I the hotels and bars and shops etc.Then they were locally owned .
Not so much so anymore.
When the locals owned the buisinesses they hired us workers to enhance their lives which in turn enhanced ours and so on.

I love the races Have since I was a young man .

My only issue now is like so many others ( Wheres the beef ? )
yes I know my grammer is bad .

I personally want the races to stay .it is up to the constituants to bring the $$$ back home

Last edited by klaatutooyou; 05-26-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

If the money is leaving that has nothing to do with tourists, races or anything else. The workers will still get theirs by way of tips. So if the workers are local then that begs that money stays local. The owners of establishments not being locals isn’t uncommon.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Registered

sorry I didn't get point across .obviously
Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt
Not to revive a politically charged review of Kew West micro-economics, but… What’s up w/ SBI still advertising a 2019 KW race concurrent w/ RWO’s (legal) race? Really???

I’m obviously not in “the know” but certainly curious…. My wife and I are avid spectators of offshore racing and have attended the Key West race for over 10 straight years. We've met many friendly and courteous racers and fans.We’ve always enjoyed the VIP section at SBI, this year’s RWO race premium packages sound great, but I’m concerned if there’s still a “battle” the quality may be diluted.(Opinions solicited, please..... )

I’m really hoping a sanctioning body shakes out that has the racer’s and sport’s best interest in mind…. (hint: opa/apba/p1)Went to Cocoa Beach, great racing, met Lucy who promotes the Sarasota race, absolute great ambassador for offshore racing and Sarasota, plan on making that race sometime and adding others to our "vacation list".

Best wishes ....

Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

This got too deep. Not sure which boats are going to be in it to win it but my liver is going to lose that week.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by low buck
ttt
Not to revive a politically charged review of Kew West micro-economics, but… What’s up w/ SBI still advertising a 2019 KW race concurrent w/ RWO’s (legal) race? Really???

I’m obviously not in “the know” but certainly curious…. My wife and I are avid spectators of offshore racing and have attended the Key West race for over 10 straight years. We've met many friendly and courteous racers and fans.We’ve always enjoyed the VIP section at SBI, this year’s RWO race premium packages sound great, but I’m concerned if there’s still a “battle” the quality may be diluted.(Opinions solicited, please..... )

I’m really hoping a sanctioning body shakes out that has the racer’s and sport’s best interest in mind…. (hint: opa/apba/p1)Went to Cocoa Beach, great racing, met Lucy who promotes the Sarasota race, absolute great ambassador for offshore racing and Sarasota, plan on making that race sometime and adding others to our "vacation list".

Best wishes ....

SBI is history... Ive heard they tried to pull a coast guard permit to have concurrent races at key west, in essence riding RWO's coat tails. The Coast guard didn't go for itl RWO made promises to key west they will never deliver on, the only winners will likely be the lawyers in December. Next year there will only be OPA left. Whether or not Key West wants to have races next year after they get fleeced in November remains to be seen, At least thats the readers digest version at this point,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.