Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the easiest way to mount a trailer box?? >

What's the easiest way to mount a trailer box??

Notices

What's the easiest way to mount a trailer box??

Old 05-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 2,967 Likes on 981 Posts
Default What's the easiest way to mount a trailer box??

Pics would be great but how are most trailer boxes mounted? I'm buying a 49" x 15" x 15" to keep cleaning stuff and jack and tools and what not. I plan on mounting it along the I beam long ways, not sideways across the tongue. Same type of set up like your typical Myco. Problem is, it's an aluminum I-beam. So, what's the best way to do it. Does anyone may large enough U-Bolts to wrap around the I-beam? I don't think drilling through the trailer would be a good idea. Any ideas?

Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

I would say to make 1/4" aluminum plates a few inches wider than the I beam, drill holes in them and use long SS bolts.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Tank, have someone Tig a flat mounting plate to the trailer , and just thru bolt the box. I would plate the inside of the box as well. Also, don’t forget to put some type of insulator between the steel and aluminum, as well as coated hardware.
Good luck with the new rig
jeff
Old 05-30-2019, 06:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BONDO10
Tank, have someone Tig a flat mounting plate to the trailer , and just thru bolt the box. I would plate the inside of the box as well. Also, don’t forget to put some type of insulator between the steel and aluminum, as well as coated hardware.
Good luck with the new rig
jeff
Originally Posted by Griff
I would say to make 1/4" aluminum plates a few inches wider than the I beam, drill holes in them and use long SS bolts.
You guys are saying basically the same thing right? I didn't think of welding a plate. That's a good idea. Would an aluminum welded plate on the bottom support all that weight? I plan on putting a floor jack in there as well as tools and other heavy stuff.

Any other way that I wouldn't have to track down a welder and just do it myself. What about U-bolts on the back side of the box, wrapping around the ibeam and drilled through the box.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

You could certainly use two plates and four bolts. Very similar to the way a small bolt on trailer jack mounts, but just like the bolt on jacks, they have a tendency to get loose quite easy. What I meant about the welded plate was not to go under the box, but on the back of it. That’s how Manning did it on my Sonic trailer, and I never had a problem. Now that I have outboards, no need for tools, or tool boxes....
Old 05-30-2019, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BONDO10
You could certainly use two plates and four bolts. Very similar to the way a small bolt on trailer jack mounts, but just like the bolt on jacks, they have a tendency to get loose quite easy. What I meant about the welded plate was not to go under the box, but on the back of it. That’s how Manning did it on my Sonic trailer, and I never had a problem. Now that I have outboards, no need for tools, or tool boxes....
LOL..True.

Those manning trailers are freakin nice.

I get what you're saying now. and good call with the thru bolts / two plates. I do know a welder come to think of it.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking of doing the same to my steel trailer. I have some scrap pieces of 3/16 thick 2x2 angle iron to weld into L brackets then either u bolt or weld to trailer. The box would then be bolted to L brackets. All the boxes I've been looking at are thin skinned so wouldn't want to just bolt through the box even with a backing plate.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:38 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
You guys are saying basically the same thing right? I didn't think of welding a plate. That's a good idea. Would an aluminum welded plate on the bottom support all that weight? I plan on putting a floor jack in there as well as tools and other heavy stuff.

Any other way that I wouldn't have to track down a welder and just do it myself. What about U-bolts on the back side of the box, wrapping around the ibeam and drilled through the box.
No, I'm saying use aluminum plate instead of U bolts but basically used in the same way as the U bolts.
Then use the same plates inside the tool box. Kind of like the way engine mounts are mounted on stringers.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:22 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,106 Likes on 1,400 Posts

You definitely want to hold + support the toolbox from it's bottom. There are some L brackets out there for toolboxes. Here are some to get an idea:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Acc...y_Toolbox.aspx

For an easier internet search use the term Brackets for Installing Aluminum Tool Box

Note, always install thin foam or rubber strips between metal brackets and aluminum trailer frame. I (and many people of coarse) have seen the devastating electrolysis effects of steel parts not being isolated from aluminum trailers. The kits should come with it, but should doesn't mean it will,

Photo from Etrailer.com DeeZee box and DeeZee mounting brackets

Last edited by SB; 05-31-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:57 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer the question posed: stepladder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.