Who's responsible for tree logs >

Who's responsible for tree logs

Notices

Who's responsible for tree logs

Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who's responsible for tree logs

So we're a mile out from main gap harbor entrance Milwaukee River and I see a 20 foot by one foot in diameter tree log bobbing between the 2 foot waves.
So I get on the ship to shore and call milw county,milw sherrif and coast guard. Coast guard responds and say they are not responsible for debres. They do get on the horn and make a statement to all vessels saying that there is a blah blah blah.
Believe me l wanted to lasso and drag it to shore but I could not with the 20 mile an hour winds, waves and no second operator.
My question is I thought the coast guards responsibility was to patrol the waters and make them safe for area vessels.
If somebody hit this thing at 30 plus miles per hour that boat was going down. So what the hell, what Gives, are my tax dollars being wasted here?

Last edited by drumerjb; 06-01-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Went through this every year when we boated in lake Erie out of Huron & Sandusky. Came across trees, half submerged 55gallon drums, even a set of wooden stairs from one of the cliffs. We would report it with coordinates & move on. They just didn't seem to care.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 52 Posts

No one cares. Just be super careful in the spring. I see the same thing every year on the Great Lakes and also Lake Cumberland.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Bobbing tree trunks are small potatoes. Sheriffs, coast guard, you name it have bigger issues than floating timber. If I’m stranded out on the big lake one of the last things I want them concerned about is debris in the water.

I like to show that wood who’s boss

Old 06-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hit a log last weekend, luckily the prop just got a little dent and speedo hole was of course chocked full of wood . Took me a darn hr to get it all out !
^^Man That drive shower really got clogged up IGetWet!!!
Old 06-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CT River Baja View Post
I hit a log last weekend, luckily the prop just got a little dent and speedo hole was of course chocked full of wood . Took me a darn hr to get it all out !
^^Man That drive shower really got clogged up IGetWet!!!
Yea schmuked it pretty hard. Had kids on the boat, evasive maneuvers weren’t an option. Took it head on, solid thunk, no vibrations after hitting it, kept on going. That was MKE bay as well.

i couldn’t believe how the wood fibers got jammed in every little crevasse they could.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IGetWet View Post
Bobbing tree trunks are small potatoes. Sheriffs, coast guard, you name it have bigger issues than floating timber. If I’m stranded out on the big lake one of the last things I want them concerned about is debris in the water.
This is 100% accurate. If the USCG and or Sheriffs Department spent all day chasing marine debris, THAT would be a huge waste of your tax dollars. USCG will put out a safety navigation broadcast on VHF 16, but unless its a piece of life saving equipment, navigation aid or another vessel they aren't going to bother going to even investigate.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should see the St. Lawrence Seaway right now at record flood level beyond 2017. We had a telephone pole with metal spikes wash up. Trees and stumps are common along with docks and pieces of docks. Currently a no wake within 300 of shore in the Seaway. Maintain a proper lookout and safe speed is the bottom line.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing View Post
You should see the St. Lawrence Seaway right now at record flood level beyond 2017. We had a telephone pole with metal spikes wash up. Trees and stumps are common along with docks and pieces of docks. Currently a no wake within 300 of shore in the Seaway. Maintain a proper lookout and safe speed is the bottom line.
You're seeing all of the debris flushed from the Great Lakes. The Detroit River and St. Clair River get pretty bad every spring too.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a clear day on the ohio.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser