Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gas tank condensation during summer? >

Gas tank condensation during summer?

Notices

Gas tank condensation during summer?

Old 08-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas tank condensation during summer?

Should I be filling my tank before putting the boat away for the week. I’ve read that humid air can enter a partially filled gas tank and condensate leaving water in the tank, but didn’t think it was a big issue in the summer. I do winter store my boat with a full tank of stabilized gas. I’ve never had a known problem from this and normally have at least 1/3 tank of gas. How long should I leave the tank low and what are your experiences?
Old 08-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes full of stabilized fuel
Old 08-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I've done everything under the sun - Tanks empty, tanks full, stabilized, unstabilized, etc.... During winter storage and never had a drop of water in my filters. I think there is a lot of paranoia in this area...... I Always run high quality Sonoco or BP premium....
Old 08-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I've done everything under the sun - Tanks empty, tanks full, stabilized, unstabilized, etc.... During winter storage and never had a drop of water in my filters. I think there is a lot of paranoia in this area...... I Always run high quality Sonoco or BP premium....
I think you're right, just that fact that everyone does it every way and they say it works kind of backs this up. I've also done it various ways and never a problem.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Fill It , less total area in the tank for Condensation , Less total surface area for the evaporation loss of fuel ( If you get it full )
Ive seen tanks that were cut apart , have varnish from half tank up , peeling off in sheets , from never being full of gas.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Never had an issue especially week to week and some of that is with boats kept in a slip.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:11 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Only time I experiences getting water in my tank during the summer a neighbor stopped by while I was washing the boat. After some time passed I noticed I was pointing the water hose right into my gas tank vent. Mother ****er !

Got another spray nozzle right after that. No more thumb over the hose. Doh !
Old 08-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Given today's fuels and ineptness of pretty much the majority of the population (no one cares if they make a mistake)...
...I find when it comes to the boat & fuel, that it's imperative to treat ALL fuel in the boats at all times.

I filled my 37AT up years ago with non-ethanol fuel at a marina, and left it for a couple months in Florida, untreated. Turns out, the fuel had ethanol in it; due to someone's screw up. It soaked up so much water that it ruined my my fuel pumps and 4 filters; found that out the day before a poker run, in which I thrashed to get them replaced and make the event.

Store it empty.
Store it full.
Store it half.
Store it long.
Store it short.

Just make sure you have fuel treatment in there and you will be fine. Cars and other vehicles that don't have open air fuel tank vents are better off; but boats are a different story.
I prefer the Star-Tron blue bottle treatment, and have not had an issue since I started using that 10 years ago. For winter storage, I use Star-Tron as well as Sta-Bil. I buy the Star-Tron at WalMart in the most concentrated bottle, and keep anywhere between 5-10 bottles on the shelf in the garage at home, and a full bottle in the boat at all times.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

I have always had my tanks close to empty for winter time because even treated fuel's octane is less after 6 months. I rather start fresh in the spring v.s. lowered octane old fuel.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Make sure no ethanol if storing full

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.