Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Offshore vs Lake Performance Boating:  Which is more challenging? >

Offshore vs Lake Performance Boating: Which is more challenging?

Notices

Offshore vs Lake Performance Boating: Which is more challenging?

Old 08-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Offshore vs Lake Performance Boating: Which is more challenging?

Hey guys, I have a work related presentation I'm working on that captures the general mindsets of different boaters, and we're using them to help understand the marine landscape. I myself live in the midwest and own a 60ish mph sleekcraft tunnel hull, but I've been on a lot of faster things on my local lakes. However, I've not really been exposed to true offshore performance much, other than photos and seeing them parked on lake winnebago.

I guess this is my question: Which type of boating is more competitive? I know both types have poker runs. Which type of boating is more engaging/interactive? With high speed inland boating, you're chine walking and trimming out and tightening your butthole as far as you can push teh pedal down without your fear of flipping over/dying a horribly dramatic death. With offshore, I am under the impressiont hat you just sort of mash the throttle and the $600k of marine technology in front of you just chops through whatever, you occasionally chop the throttle to avoid blowing up your drives, but that's about it.

Is it true? Are lake boats a lot more techhically challenging to drive than offshore boats? I guess with an offshore boat you have the added complexity of navigation/the dangers of the ocean, and if you break down you could die.

What say you?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you boat on a lake its better than offshore.

if you boat offshore its better than on a lake.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is not what I'm asking.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by klaatutooyou
if you boat on a lake its better than offshore.

if you boat offshore its better than on a lake.
I've boated on a lake...it's not better than offshore.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

They're all competitive in their own way, takes talent on both sides. Not sure there's a direct comparison, two different environments with not much in common IMO.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

It’s a tough question cuz it’s going to be answered biasly . Both have there challenges. My personal opinion is that offshore ocean running is more challenging due to wear and tear .
Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

You need to respect the water, period.

Same = Ive been on lakes and the ocean when conditions from a storm change conditions too fast to react comfortably. So driving condition on the throttle depends on conditions.

I think inland lakes are more dangerous due to other boaters. I was always steering around a kid on a tube or a jackazz on a waverunner.

Once I moved to Florida, as soon as you leave any inlet and go East, you are in the Bermuda triangle. You can get out of cell phone coverage real quick. What can go wrong, will go wrong. Ive had the dumbest things break 2 miles out. Hose clamps. Not start properly, you name it. You get more of the occasional "rogue" waves in the ocean running along wide open on a calm day and WHAM, a 4 footer from a Viking that is nowhere in sight. Thats not too fun.

Last edited by Keith Atlanta; 08-14-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

we havent even passed labor day much less made it to winter yet....
Old 08-14-2019, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 812 Likes on 345 Posts

Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

The great lakes can be challenging at times. Inland lake not so much but avoiding pontoons can be challenging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.