Notices

Water PSI too high

Old 08-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Water PSI too high

2002 496 MAG-HO(185hrs fresh water all it's life)) with closed cooling and according to other's the PSI is too high. Nearly 40psi around 4000rpm according to rinda live data. So since I don't have much service info other than the former owner replaced the impeller in 2018... where would be the likely places for the vanes to get stuck, if there once was a failure causing the issue and where to pull the hoses to check? Engine runs fine and about 160*F?

thanks
Old 08-23-2019, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

40 psi should be fine with closed cooling.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

40 is a little high at 4000rpm(depending on mph and water pickup) IMO.

I would take the hose off the rear of the oil cooler and see if anything is blocking the tubes. That's where it always happened to me. I would know something was blocking the flow looking at the water pressure gauge.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

496 max is 30 psi per OEM spec
Old 08-24-2019, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I always take the right side cap (looking at the engine ) off of heat exchanger and flush, remove bigger hose on right side of changer and remove right side hose off of cooler that is in back of motor about intake height, flush from front to back and watch to see if parts of the impeller come out, There is a cooler on the lower right side that has a screen to stop debris form passing any father. Best way I can explain it.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by fasthawk6
I always take the right side cap (looking at the engine ) off of heat exchanger and flush, remove bigger hose on right side of changer and remove right side hose off of cooler that is in back of motor about intake height, flush from front to back and watch to see if parts of the impeller come out, There is a cooler on the lower right side that has a screen to stop debris form passing any father. Best way I can explain it.
I presume will need new gasket/seal for the cover? Will be getting boat back on land this week to check closer...
Old 08-26-2019, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PA.WOODCHUCK
I presume will need new gasket/seal for the cover? Will be getting boat back on land this week to check closer...
Yes, plus they sometimes suck that gasket into the heat exchanger.