Is Cumberland poker run done? >

Is Cumberland poker run done?

Notices

Is Cumberland poker run done?

Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by redsled33
I have been wondering this for the past couple years. While the party at Harmon seems to be getting bigger and bigger every year the poker run itself doesn’t seem to be as exciting as it used to be. I have been going to this event for about 15 years as Cumberland is our home lake. Over the years I understand how the format had to change with the death of Kevin in 08 and brad and Jeff in13 and the amount of people crowding the lake to watch myself included yet I tried to keep a safe distance. I don’t know about other events if they have a party of that magnitude or are most of the raft ups parties etc just contained to mostly poker run boats? Myself I am there to see the big fast poker run boats I don’t really care to see 800 run abouts in Harmon with a bunch of drunk idiots on them. Not saying I don’t go to Harmon or like the party because I do it’s just got crazier and crazier over the past years from the people to the cops. I think that poker run has turned into the party at Harmon I have talked to several non boaters who say I am going to the poker run and all they are there for is the party. Maybe I am getting old who knows. Just my .02

I would say this is the case with a lot of poker run now. its not the organizers its people coming to the part. when you come but don't buy a hand it hurts the run. the poker run is driven by hands bought not people there for the party only. I have had people call and start facbook stuff over moving the run into the weekdays over them not being able to party. when they didn't even buy a poker hand. its ridiculous
Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by caseyh
I would say this is the case with a lot of poker run now. its not the organizers its people coming to the part. when you come but don't buy a hand it hurts the run. the poker run is driven by hands bought not people there for the party only. I have had people call and start facbook stuff over moving the run into the weekdays over them not being able to party. when they didn't even buy a poker hand. its ridiculous
IMO, what hurts a Poker run like Cumberland is a format where boats do not get to run with each other up and down the lake. That is the main draw of paying to get into a Poker run - the thrill of running up and down the lake with other performance boats. The rest of the poker run is just icing on the cake IMO.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Couldn't agree more. This is what a PR is all about...
Old 09-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo
Couldn't agree more. This is what a PR is all about...
Yeah, you can run around by yourself and not pay $375 to do it. Unfortunately I have to buy one to rent a boatel at state.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Cops obviously trying to put a fork in it for sure!!

Nice publicity for the event
40 arrested during Cumberland Poker Run.

https://www.lex18.com/news/at-least-...ake-cumberland
If I remember right, last year was close to a couple hundred.

I saw a guy a couple years ago getting arrested in a kayak with a cooler of beer being towed behind. I will go back on old pictures to find it. Swear to god the guy in the kayak got cuffed and stuffed for what I can only assume was a bui.

When Jasper sold SD the favors went away and it just turned into a cash grab for the fish and game and the counties.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I will preface this by saying I have not missed one yet. I have been at each and every one both as a participant and spectator. State Dock is our home dock (have a slip and a half there) and we were there from Thursday through Monday this year. It was sometime Saturday early evening, about the time everyone was returning to the dock, my wife asks if I wanted to walk over and look at the boats. I thought about it for a second and replied "why - just the same boats we have already seen before" not to mention center console expo! Speaking of center consoles there was a company that had two there on display. One was a fifty something footer with quad somethings. A friend was talking with them and said "I have a million dollars can I buy it?" Reply was to the effect you are not have way there. Later found out asking price was $2.3 million! If I had $2.3 mil to spend on a boat it most certainly would not be for a FN center console.

About 1:30 or so Eastern Time we made a run from the dock to the outside of Harmon Creek - Jacks Branch. I did like the placement of the not wake zone this year. On our way through the no wake zone to the mouth of Jack's Branch water patrol was already taking one man for the "ride of shame". As we made our way through the massive cluster at the entrance I counted no less than 10 water patrol boats, one of which was talking to an individual in a small what looked to be jet boat. We made our way back through the cluster (there is no way I would have attempted to make the circle through Jack's Branch) and idled back out keeping track of traffic around us both in front and from behind. When we got to the bouys there were several boats coming at us at idle speed so I elected to maintain idle as not to rock there world. Out of nowhere there was a boat passing on our starboard side between us and the shore less the 50 or so feet away. I think we were splashed by the spray from his wake. It was the water patrol boat taking the man from the jet boat for his "ride of shame". Moment later another water patrol boat comes by in the same fashion. They did not have anyone else on board that I saw. I think we all can imagine what might have happen if I had pasted them the way they passed me.

Anyway I will continue to attend but jokingly say it is more to protect our chit than to participate in the run.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE
I will preface this by saying I have not missed one yet. I have been at each and every one both as a participant and spectator. State Dock is our home dock (have a slip and a half there) and we were there from Thursday through Monday this year. It was sometime Saturday early evening, about the time everyone was returning to the dock, my wife asks if I wanted to walk over and look at the boats. I thought about it for a second and replied "why - just the same boats we have already seen before" not to mention center console expo! Speaking of center consoles there was a company that had two there on display. One was a fifty something footer with quad somethings. A friend was talking with them and said "I have a million dollars can I buy it?" Reply was to the effect you are not have way there. Later found out asking price was $2.3 million! If I had $2.3 mil to spend on a boat it most certainly would not be for a FN center console.

About 1:30 or so Eastern Time we made a run from the dock to the outside of Harmon Creek - Jacks Branch. I did like the placement of the not wake zone this year. On our way through the no wake zone to the mouth of Jack's Branch water patrol was already taking one man for the "ride of shame". As we made our way through the massive cluster at the entrance I counted no less than 10 water patrol boats, one of which was talking to an individual in a small what looked to be jet boat. We made our way back through the cluster (there is no way I would have attempted to make the circle through Jack's Branch) and idled back out keeping track of traffic around us both in front and from behind. When we got to the bouys there were several boats coming at us at idle speed so I elected to maintain idle as not to rock there world. Out of nowhere there was a boat passing on our starboard side between us and the shore less the 50 or so feet away. I think we were splashed by the spray from his wake. It was the water patrol boat taking the man from the jet boat for his "ride of shame". Moment later another water patrol boat comes by in the same fashion. They did not have anyone else on board that I saw. I think we all can imagine what might have happen if I had pasted them the way they passed me.

Anyway I will continue to attend but jokingly say it is more to protect our chit than to participate in the run.

In 4 years, Hydra Sports has built close to 25 of the 53' Suenos boats. Obviously there are enough people buying them for them to keep making them, and now also making a 65 footer.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
In 4 years, Hydra Sports has built close to 25 of the 53' Suenos boats. Obviously there are enough people buying them for them to keep making them, and now also making a 65 footer.
The 65 is INSANE but I'd never buy one. I'd go performance cruiser instead (Baia, Princess, Sunseeker). They are all suffering from bigger hull, then needs bigger power and now we need more fuel capacity all resulting in one heavy MF'r.