Notices

Port and Starboard Trivia

Old 10-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CooperS7777
What happens when the person your speaking to is staring at your bow, ready to catch a line, or standing on your boat looking aft?

It depends entirely on what buoyage system is being used. Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia and others are all completely opposite.

correct. They are under IALA-A. We are IALA-B. Considering we are talking about here I stuck with B. The colors do swap under A. The shapes stay the same though.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a good explanation of the 2

https://safe-skipper.com/an-explanat...-a-and-iala-b/
Old 10-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
correct. They are under IALA-A. We are IALA-B. Considering we are talking about here I stuck with B. The colors do swap under A. The shapes stay the same though.
My point was much the same as the one you were trying to make regarding markings in the ICW; relying on an old mnemonic for "safe" navigation is no substitute for know the rules of the area in which your operating. The same risk isn't associated with port and starboard as they are ubiquitous terms.