Formula 357-Dear Lord What Have I Done

Old 09-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd say your gut is right.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

It’s pretty much the same as you’re used to just a little more of everything. Congrats and good luck.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
If you make it to Pickwick give me a shout. I'm there every weekend unless I'm somewhere else.
I’ve got an old girlfriend that lives in Pickwick, she’s wanting to ride horses out here in East TN this fall. I’ll take her trail riding here and then get her and her friends on the lake with us out there next Summer.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
If you make it to Pickwick give me a shout. I'm there every weekend unless I'm somewhere else.
Originally Posted by Andyba20
I’ll start by saying I thought I knew quite a bit about boating. Then I bought this 1988 Formula 357 and realized I don’t. I love it, but I know nothing. I am looking in every direction and seeing things I don’t even know what to call. If an artist rendered a drawing of me with this boat is would be me standing there looking at it confused with my hands on my hips. I’ve searched the forum and done some reading but still. Do any of you guys know anything about this boat? The electrical system, the TRS drives, heck I’m not so sure the previous owner didn’t change the throttle control cables (shouldn’t forward/reverse be on the left side?), but I have no context with these boats. Any Formula experts care to weigh in and give me some general operating and maintenance advice? I grew up with Mastercraft’s, Supra’s, Sea Rays, and a Chaparral cruiser, but this offshore stuff is a different animal.
[img]blob:https://www.offshoreonly.com/8ecabce5-709e-4c1a-95b1-d07feb53e8cf[/img]
Old 09-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Here’s a picture of the gloriously tacky thing.
[img]blob:https://www.offshoreonly.com/e04f04a3-3a6f-4d39-90f1-644974081baf[/img]
Old 09-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Hose on port side just hanging out, broken. What is it? No idea.

Velvet drive...sounds sexy
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Remnants of what was once the shore power receptacle? Port side storage area.

Dip stick for transmission fluid? I’m asking I really don’t know.

More remnants of shore power? This wire is right behind the 2 1/4 inch hole in the picture above.

I bought this boat for the fuel efficiency.

Came with a backup engine.

Boat wants to pull to the left slightly. Talked to a really cool OSO member today named Cyrus, he mentioned an alignment. Called Firestone and they don’t do these types of alignments. Any suggestions on tutorials?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Registered
Gold Member

“I’m Content” doesn’t have the same attitude to it...wouldn’t have been my first choice for a name but whatever.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Measure prop shaft and nosecone. Depending who you ask you’ll get different responses. Make sure front and rear are as close as possible. Old school racer told me set em even. That’s how mine are.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:07 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
Measure prop shaft and nosecone. Depending who you ask you’ll get different responses. Make sure front and rear are as close as possible. Old school racer told me set em even. That’s how mine are.
Thank you! I’ll do that. I don’t know exactly what this means but if I stand behind the drives and push them port side they move easily, like I could do it with 1 finger. To push them starboard it requires both arms
Pushing them. I assume this would explain why the boat naturally wants to drift port. But what mechanically would cause this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.