Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyba20
Short clip of my new mistress waking up the neighbors
Gorgeous!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:20 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the only thing louder than my 2nd Gen Cummins.
Attached Files
Old 09-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Sweet looking boat!
Old 09-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 357

I have a 1988 30 foot Scarab on Fort Loudon, we frequently run to Tellico. Great to have another old boat around.
I pulled motors last winter and found the transom and stringers wet on a boat I was certain was dry. I dug Into the boat and replaced everything.
Don’t sweat it if you find yours wet, being your first powerboat, just tinker and enjoy it. Being wet is not the end of the world as long as the boat is solid. If you can’t do the work yourself, you run into costs that far out pace the value of an old boat.
I’m pulling my engines again this winter as I already have 300 hrs on them this season. I want to see how they have held up. There is always something you want/need to do to an old boat. I will PM my phone number , call or text if you need anything, I’m in Knoxville.

I also saw that Formula for sale and thought about picking it up to have a a spare.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:07 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Ok rookie question of the day. My DC accessories all work even with the batteries switched off. I did some tracing of the wires. See exhibits 1-4.
DC Main breakers

Closest Red wire

This wire goes into one of the 4 terminals (I’m guessing only one of the main breakers is working)

Red wire runs straight to battery positive. Should this wire be going into the battery on/off switch? I have plenty of fire extinguishers I just don’t want to use them.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

All the DC accessories should be tied into the battery switch. That way when you turn batteries off even if you forget something is on you don’t kill them. Bilge pumps should be tied to all time hot. Wiring on older boats is usually a mess from so many people tinkering and jumping **** because they don’t know how or refuse to fix it right
Old 09-20-2019, 01:18 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
All the DC accessories should be tied into the battery switch. That way when you turn batteries off even if you forget something is on you don’t kill them. Bilge pumps should be tied to all time hot. Wiring on older boats is usually a mess from so many people tinkering and jumping **** because they don’t know how or refuse to fix it right
31 years of on the water bandaid fixes, but you know what, screw it, I’m gonna spend all winter making every connection perfect. I’m not gonna let this boat win. She’s testing me...
Old 09-21-2019, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Half the battle with these old boats is undoing all of the bullish!t the previous owners did. Sometimes it’s hack “mechanic” work that someone actually got paid for. There was plenty in my boat and most boats I see honestly. I wish I had a dollar for every non marine carb or alternator I’ve seen on the ski boats around here. And the stereo installs are just dangerous, with power wires half the size they should be, and direct wired with no breaker. Good stuff.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

My 88 Scarab has factory wiring that scary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.