Is the sport of offshore racing dying? >

Is the sport of offshore racing dying?

Notices

Is the sport of offshore racing dying?

Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike A.
I’ve never heard anyone say that the introduction of Super Cat in 2000 ruined the sport. A bit of a history lesson may be in order here. Just prior to the start of the 1997 season, APBA Offshore was bankrupt and on the verge of being sold off to SBI and USO. The ORC brought Gene Whipp in as category chairman and he saved the day, however he had to invest over $100,000 of his own money to get APBA Offshore out of debt.

In APBA’s final national race in South Padre Island in 1998, 12 boats showed up, and Gene had enough. He retired after the Worlds in Biloxi with only 68 boats in attendance.

Two open class boats showed up for the 1999 season opener in Fort Myers. By then, the courses had already moved inshore and were under 10 miles. At the second race in NH, the two open boats ran around on broken engines, battling each other at less than 50mph and barely on plane. The Super Cat concept was born right then and there as it was clear Open Class in America was dead.

Fast forward to the Worlds in 2000 and there were 17 Super Cats and 147 boats total. For the next three years, APBA averaged 85 boats at every race with several exceeding 100. Courses were shortened to 5-6 miles and extra turns, lefts and rights were added. Anyone who raced in Daytona and Savannah knows we raced in big water too.

APBA Offshore had secured a five year title sponsorship deal with GM, and was producing 2 hours of national television for each race. The sport was entering another renaissance.

The sport was crushed prior to the 2003 Worlds when several Super Cat teams lead a boycott of APBA Offshore to form their own sanctioning body, which quickly failed. It’s been all downhill since, until this year when OPA and P-1 joined forces. With respect, 20 years after it was conceptualized, the Super Cat class remains strong and largely unchanged.

I have never claimed that the induction of Superca was a bad idea, but the rule changes to the sport that came along with the Supercat class in 2000 was a really, really bad idea. APBA/Supercat thrived for 2-3 years following the new rules for the 2000 season but soon the Supercat class began to sink faster than the Titanic and a few years later the series struck the bottom of the sea, UIM Class 1 soon followed APBA when they also decided to change their series from offshore to inshore circuit racing ahead of the 2003 season so the sport could be more "spectator friendly".. the European Class 1 championship quickly began to lose interest from competitors, fans/spectators,TV/media and from cities wanting to host the championship and in 2015 the UIM Class 1 series was officially dead. I dont think that was a coincidence. Watching 40-45 ft cats racing on short and tight courses close to shore and mostly on flat calm waters just aren`t exciting. Make offshore racing great again.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

A lot of sports are going thru changes and less attendance right now. Everyone is trying to be more interactive. Just make an app and offshore will be fine (lol)

But, seriously, look at NASCAR right now. Its really struggling. If you cant make NASCAR popular with their budget, its gonna be hard with the offshore budget.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Other than racer participation, I dont see what is so difficult about getting some “old school” races set up? Especially off the beach and out to the open ocean?
Doesn’t need a sanctioning body, just a start/finish point and some checkpoints. Hell you don’t really need classes except to keep the smaller guys safe at the start.

Yes it’s a risk to run out far away from safety, but desert racers still do it... and there are sailing races inshore, offshore, out and backs, international point to point races, etc all over the USA and the world, every weekend of the year.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joestlaachmkr
I have never claimed that the induction of Superca was a bad idea, but the rule changes to the sport that came along with the Supercat class in 2000 was a really, really bad idea. APBA/Supercat thrived for 2-3 years following the new rules for the 2000 season but soon the Supercat class began to sink faster than the Titanic and a few years later the series struck the bottom of the sea, UIM Class 1 soon followed APBA when they also decided to change their series from offshore to inshore circuit racing ahead of the 2003 season so the sport could be more "spectator friendly".. the European Class 1 championship quickly began to lose interest from competitors, fans/spectators,TV/media and from cities wanting to host the championship and in 2015 the UIM Class 1 series was officially dead. I dont think that was a coincidence. Watching 40-45 ft cats racing on short and tight courses close to shore and mostly on flat calm waters just aren`t exciting. Make offshore racing great again.
In case you missed it, sanctioning bodies were running shorter closer to shore courses for many years before Super Cat was introduced. There were no course rule changes made in 2000, and our courses were generally longer than those from the previous years because we added more turns. Again, the sport was on its death bed prior to the introduction and promotion of spec racing (Super Cat, Super Cat Light, Super Vee, SVL, and the Factory classes). Closer to shore racing was not responsible for the sport’s decline, the 2003 boycott was, period.

As for returning to the old offshore courses, there is no commercial or participant demand for it. Permitting, safety, and insurance issues also make producing such an event very, very expensive, and logistically difficult. I understand the nostalgic aspect of your argument as my dad raced in the 1970’s, but without a huge sum of money to produce such an event, and a large prize purse to incentivize participants, the old way is simply not viable today.

Last edited by Mike A.; 09-23-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
Other than racer participation, I dont see what is so difficult about getting some “old school” races set up? Especially off the beach and out to the open ocean?
Doesn’t need a sanctioning body, just a start/finish point and some checkpoints. Hell you don’t really need classes except to keep the smaller guys safe at the start.

Yes it’s a risk to run out far away from safety, but desert racers still do it... and there are sailing races inshore, offshore, out and backs, international point to point races, etc all over the USA and the world, every weekend of the year.
It has been tried without success. If the racers truly were interested in the old school offshore style racing, they would be doing it. As far as not needing a sanctioning body, etc... the organizer would, in my opinion, be taking a huge risk promoting a racing event without insurance, which would of course, mean safety assets, etc....
Old 09-23-2019, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548

This would be something more for the guys running and not the fans. There is very few people fan wise that would care to attend or see a race like that happen. maybe a once a year nostalgia thing but that is really it.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gmhdfan
<br />

Thanks for what was probably the best all around package of offshore races. With the Speedvision productions on TV, the one design and Chris's bat boat rentals, F1, F2, and all the other regular classes with big boat counts, good venues, kilo speed runs, good tech inspections, (lucky their was SBI for the ones that didn't like that) something for everyone. And OSS people still leave me with the same feeling as a snitch does when around them. Every era had it's high points from the 80's with everyone trying to build a better mouse trap. Never knew what to expect for engines when looking in different bilges. The crews were a side show by themselves. OPT had its Glamour and Glitz, big boat counts with incredible different boat manufacturers and sponsors normal people recognized. Look what the Jersey Boyz have accomplished with OPA. The EFI packages have taken away the eye candy part of it but that was what made Key West great, still had the poker run boats for that. I'm still a firm believer in "A bad day at the races is still better than a good day at work"
DITTO x 1000
Old 09-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
A lot of sports are going thru changes and less attendance right now. Everyone is trying to be more interactive. Just make an app and offshore will be fine (lol)

But, seriously, look at NASCAR right now. Its really struggling. If you cant make NASCAR popular with their budget, its gonna be hard with the offshore budget.
That`s not entirely true. There are several sports who have their best attendance & viewers ever

NASCAR was at it`s ultimate peak between 2003-2006, but the chase, car of tomorrow, Toyota`s participation and NASCAR going against their strongest fanbase in an attempt to reach new fans has costed NASCAR more than what they have gained, Jimmie Johnson would have been a 3-time champion and a seven time champ if it wasn`t for the chase format. That tells everything how ****ed up the whole system is. Brian France (NASCAR president) have a lot in common with the guy who in 1998 decided to make offshore racing more "spectator friendly", but NASCAR will survive due to the fact that it`s still one of the more popular sports in the country and the auto industry are so unbelieveable much bigger than what the boating industry is.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Registered

Default OPA is Bringing the Sport Back!

OPA is doing a great job! They need to stay the course. Their Class One model has the potential to be special. I’m excited for the future.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mike A.

In case you missed it, sanctioning bodies were running shorter closer to shore courses for many years before Super Cat was introduced. There were no course rule changes made in 2000, and our courses were generally longer than those from the previous years because we added more turns. Again, the sport was on its death bed prior to the introduction and promotion of spec racing (Super Cat, Super Cat Light, Super Vee, SVL, and the Factory classes). Closer to shore racing was not responsible for the sport’s decline, the 2003 boycott was, period.

As for returning to the old offshore courses, there is no commercial or participant demand for it. Permitting, safety, and insurance issues also make producing such an event very, very expensive, and logistically difficult. I understand the nostalgic aspect of your argument as my dad raced in the 1970’s, but without a huge sum of money to produce such an event, and a large prize purse to incentivize participants, the old way is simply not viable today.

I`m aware that APBA began with courses closer to shore in the 90`s but they still ran long offshore courses compared to what they have done since the year of 2000, as far as i remember there was a guy who had no experience whatsoever from powerboat racing or from the marine industry who became a APBA official in 1998 who decided to make these new rules from 2000 and on, this guy did apparently leave the sport in 2001 to never be heard from again. I agree however that something had to be done with the open class & superboat, but i think the sport is closer to death in 2019 than what it was in 1999.

I think offshore would gain massively both in popularity and more boats participating if the sport returned to it`s roots, and by that i dont mean racing miles away from shore in the middle of the atlantic, but stop having these silly courses they have today and return to longer courses with less turns and rough seas again. It`s usually not a good idea to make drastic rule changes to a sport in an attempt to make it more spectator or commercial friendly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.