3 days w/a 25’ Checkmate in Lake Erie chop >

3 days w/a 25’ Checkmate in Lake Erie chop

Notices

3 days w/a 25’ Checkmate in Lake Erie chop

Old 10-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts

Stopped at West Bay Inn a couple times.

Saturday night just in time to see the bride of a wedding there, shoot the sunset cannon.

Sunday to watch the Browns stink up the joint and saw two of the many VW vans rallying on the island.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Registered

Our lab doing what he do around water.

Some of the beautiful stone formations on the island and a couple enjoying the view from one..
Old 10-31-2019, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

My wife and I went over to PIB last Wednesday for the weekend. The forecast was 4-7's with up to 9's. I'm not a good judge of wave height, and everyone will argue anyways. Videos never do justice to being there in person. That said, I would say it was legit 5-6's and winds were 35-40mph. This is in our Monterey 335SY cabin cruiser. A few people asked what the point in going out was. We trailer the boat and came from Indianapolis, knowing it would be rough. It's only a 12 mile ride from the launch ramp to the island and we love going for Halloween weekend. Also, I carry a fully equipped ditch bag, EPIRB, 2 PLB's, and life raft.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 731 Likes on 328 Posts

Which island is the one that's infested with snakes ?
Old 10-31-2019, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do Miss Gary's Brandy Alexanders. Chicago's were even Better
Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 AM
Registered

Nice!

Correct on getting waves to show up on film.
I said in my video that when you can count seconds from when the boat drops off the crest and lands in the trough, that was s big ass wave!

Brilliant on the ditch bag.
Ive had one ever since my first 19’ cuddy on that lake.
For $50. You can got to Walmart and get a 2 man inflatable, oars, air pump and a duffle bag to store it.
I tell passengers/crew, if anything happens, grab a vest and that bag before going over the side.
Can inflate it while in water.

Another concern for boating “up there” in late fall/early spring, is water temp and lack of patrol and recreational boats if you get in trouble.

Basically be prepared to save your own ass or else.....

Great video and would have been fun in your boat.
Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
My wife and I went over to PIB last Wednesday for the weekend. The forecast was 4-7's with up to 9's. I'm not a good judge of wave height, and everyone will argue anyways. Videos never do justice to being there in person. That said, I would say it was legit 5-6's and winds were 35-40mph. This is in our Monterey 335SY cabin cruiser. A few people asked what the point in going out was. We trailer the boat and came from Indianapolis, knowing it would be rough. It's only a 12 mile ride from the launch ramp to the island and we love going for Halloween weekend. Also, I carry a fully equipped ditch bag, EPIRB, 2 PLB's, and life raft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R61YkMXMzqM
Old 11-01-2019, 06:14 AM
Registered

They all have snakes but most hide out of site.
Ill go yrs and not see a snake and then spend a weekend seeing swim platforms covered w/them!

The stone breakwall around West Bay at Kelly’s is normally full of them.

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Which island is the one that's infested with snakes ?
Old 11-01-2019, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 402 Likes on 238 Posts

Great thread ! Really like the picture of the carpet runner on your boat to protect the sunpad, never thought of that. Beats using towels that slip around … Not a fan of the yellow triangle warning sign in post #9....LOL The rough water videos reminds me of Saturday's on LOTO...ugh
Old 11-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Registered

I have an internal struggle w/owning a boat that requires you to walk on it’s Uhpolstrey to enter or leave it.

When I had The Uhpolstrey done for my 2nd 24’ Sonic I had them make the sides flip up so you actually stepped on to the lounge lid instead of the cushion when climbing on the boat. The shop that did it had never seen it done before but liked the idea.
First time I got in the boat though, I knew I fk’d up.

Stood on the lounge lid w/the cool cushion section folded up out of the way and then realized I had to step on the brand new Uhpolstrey on the bench seat to get the rest of the way in.
Doh!

The runners are a cheap, easy alternative.They come in several sizes and colors.
I measured what I needed for the wife’s Checkmate and headed to Walmart w/the list.
Was lucky I found a color that worked in sizes within 2” of what I needed.

Only issues are leaving them in place while exploring and having s wind kick up and suck them off the boat.
I have lost many.

And remembering to put them up before heading out.

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
Great thread ! Really like the picture of the carpet runner on your boat to protect the sunpad, never thought of that. Beats using towels that slip around … Not a fan of the yellow triangle warning sign in post #9....LOL The rough water videos reminds me of Saturday's on LOTO...ugh